1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PCIe Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arboreal, 16 Jun 2018.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have just moved my newest motherboard (Asus B250M Prime) into a new case and it runs fine using the old PSU.
    However, when I fitted a PCIe 1x wifi card (laptop card to PCIe) in the 1x slot, the PC wouldn't boot.
    It wouldn't boot with this card in athe 16x or 4x slots for that matter.
    What's odd is that it worked happily before and after, in my H81/Haswell rig that it was tested on from new last week.
    What am I missing???

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

When you say it runs fine with the old PSU, do you mean that it's only with the new b250 *and* the new psu that you have the issue?

3. Arboreal

Thanks, I have only run it on that one PSU, and don't see there's a problem there. All I did was drop the new board into the existing case and PSU combo and plugged it all in.
    It boots fine from the board mounted M.2 SS with or without a graphics card installed.
    The problem arrives when I put the wifi card, (works in the H81 board that was in that case), into the 1x slot on the B250. I tried it in the 16x and 4x slots too; all that happens is the power switch clicks but the board fails to start. Take the card out, and all is fine.
    I could understand it better if the wifi card didn't work at all.
    Could there be a BIOS setting that makes the PCIe slots picky?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What make of WiFi card is it, could it be that the Asus B250M Prime is not compatible with PCI-e 1.0/2.0 cards?

5. Arboreal

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I could check the BIOS for PCIe legacy support. It's an Asus (Broadcom?) WiFi/Bluetooth card of ouf my Maximus VI Impact in a generic adaptor card bought online.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Force the lane to a 1.0 or 2.0 standard and see what happens. :)

7. Arboreal

Thanks B, I did that to 1.0 and 2.0 and it made no difference at all. With that card in any PCIe slot (1x/4/16x) the board will not boot; press the start switch and nothing.
    Following that, I remembered that I had a couple of short card in the collection, so tried a 'dead' 1x USB 3.0 card and a Silverstone M.2 SATA/PCIe card in the 4x slot, and with one/other/both it booted every time.
    I can only conclude that it doesn't like the WiFi card for some unknown reason. Thankfully, I know it works, as it is happy in the 1x slot in the H81 board.
    So, I can now be more confident with getting some more RAM and a better CPU (has a cheap test Pentium in, just in case it was duff) when I need them
    Thanks all for your help and thoughts :happy: