1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pcie riser question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nealieboyee, 6 May 2017.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I'm planning a build where I need the GPU to be parallel to the motherboard. If I use a flexible riser that's only rated at 25w but my graphics card has its own 6pin power connector, will I be ok to run any GPU?

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IIRC 25w is intended for low power PCIe so no you won't be ok.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I could be wrong but I thought that graphics cards with PCIe connectors draw power from both the motherboard and the 6 / 8 pin connector/s so you probably won't get away with it no :(

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Oh ok. So how do I use a riser with enough power for the GPU without burning the riser cable?

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You need to get either 1) a premium one capable of carrying at least 75w or 2) one with an in line power adapter. You'll burn the cable otherwise.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For flexible risers, there are a few choices:
    3M Riser. Expensive, but will work, always.
    LiHeat riser: cheaper than 3M, but less flexible. A bit of a pain to get one, but has variants with different angled connectors, and the newer ones have a narrower flex ribbon. A handful of stores of DOA risers, but few of failures in use.
    HDPlex riser: Cheap, works well, flexible substrate, connectors are a bit bulky, only available in one length. Currently unavailable new.
    Other risers: Barely worth bothering with. You might get something that works, you might get a lemon. Enjoy wasting your time with trail & error.