1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC's Will Not Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miffers, 10 Feb 2010.

1. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

Now my mate has got his PC he brought it round for me to take a look at his machine. Basically when booting from the disk after loading files ( installing 7 ) it goes to a black screen and i get the message.

Windows Failed to Start

file: \windows\system32\winload.exe

It looks like almost like an OS has been installed but the HDD is clean and brand new. I have tested the disk and used a working hard drive. I have also used an IDE & Sata DVD Drive. The kit is as follows

Motherboard: Asus p5k 1600
    Processor: Intel e6600 @ 2.66
    Graohics Card: Nvidia 260
    Hard Drive: WD Blue 500GB
    Power Supply: 1000W ( Not sure on brand but not crappy )
    RAM: 4GB Giel

Have any of you guys had this happen to you or know somthing that could fix this. My bet is on board as it seems to me that data is being read but not being correctly transfered.

Is a bit like this... :wallbash:

2. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

It's just a standard MS DVD and not a slipstreamed copy I take it? If so the best I can suggest is to clean the Windows 7 DVD just to make sure it's not got a bit of grease on. the next step is to make sure you are using the corect SATA driver and that the hard drive is formated with a slow pass just to make sure the sectors are all good. I know it takes a while but it's always a good idea for the first format as even new HDD's can have bad sectors.

3. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Have you used the repair option on the windows cd ? It normally happens when there is a hardware change, so check all connections.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I know, off topic but why on earth would you need a 1000 watt power supply for that rig?

5. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

I don't actually know but it's not my PC i know hes got a hungry graphics card but.. i dunno i've tryed various disks the ISO i burnt off was from MSDN and it was a brand new disk..

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That GPU would happily run on less than half that wattage. Ah well, onto the issue at hand. Have you tried a full reformat?

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

No need for a full format, just do a CHKDSK /R from the recovery console. Burn the install disc again, but do it at 1x speed and verify it. Yes, it'll take an age but it might be either your burner or your discs that are causing problems and hopefully a slow burn should sort it out. Either that or burn it on another PC. You could also set it up to install from a usb stick if you have one spare. DVD's are so 2000 :)

8. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

I've done all of the above and the HDD has nothing on it and also the one that i tryed.. I can't reapair the os as there is nothing to repair :/

9. kenco_uk

Re-download the iso. If you've tried the usb install method, it sounds like the file has somehow corrupted itself.

10. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

I've recently used that same ISO and the same disk and installed to my own pc.

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My HX620 powers my 260GTX and a 9600GSO, both a full load while folding.

12. kenco_uk

Hmm.. odd. In the bios on your mate's PC, are there options for sata, i.e. native/ide/ahci/raid? Try setting it to native. Also, try it with one stick of ram (if there is more than one stick installed, of course).