1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Pedagogues /Teachers /Students

Discussion in 'General' started by theshadow2001, 15 Aug 2014.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm going back to college part time. I'm getting nervous as the start date approaches and the enormity of the commitment from a financial and time perspective becomes more apparent.

Previously when studying I just threw time at it to get me through. This time around, because I'm doing a full time job as well, I don't have that luxury. I think efficiency is going to be key.

Anyway does anyone have advice on mowing through prescribed reading whilst retaining the information.

General learning techniques or titbits that they know to be useful.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2014
  2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As a teacher whose had to do a number of courses while still holding down my day job (and all the extras that entails), I can recommend doing any assignments as quickly as possible after they're set: the longer you wait, the harder they'll become. Perhaps set aside a Saturday morning to do all your work. Also take lots and lots of notes - the memory isn't as good as it used to be ;)
    Although, since you're an adult, the correct term is now "andragogue"

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Probably depends what you're studying, but back in the day I found it useful to go straight to the summary/conclusions of any reading I was doing, and then skim through the whole article looking for the key text and power quotes that enable you to condense the article into concise notes. Then go through your notes and make them even more more concise/shorthand. By doing this I could condense a whole module into 3 or 4 sides of A4 of notes that contained all the detail I would need to score highly. Just by making the notes I'd commit much of it to memory, then I'd commit the whole lot to memory by the simple check & recite method.

Get the recommended reading list and set about getting eyes on as many of the ones that seem most useful asap so that you can assess for yourself how useful they'll be to you.

If there are copies of past papers (assuming assessment is by written exam) then get eyes on these early too to see if any topics occur every time etc.

If you need to write any essays, make sure every paragraph you write is directly related to the question, and if there are any assumptions made in the question see if there is any mileage in challenging them. Answer the question, but then try and twist the question as well to show comprehensive knowledge of the subject.

4. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Agreed - Also, think/write like journalist if you can - think of the essay as a series of paragraphs. If you tear off the last one, the rest still makes sense. Doing this makes the marker's job easier - they get the points they are looking for to pass you early on, but can continue reading if they need more to award full marks. It also means if you run out of time, you've got most of your points across early on.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If you're combining part-time study with full-time work, try to set aside a certain amount of time each week, and ideally schedule your study for the same time every week. Make sure that it's a time that will allow you to study effectively - quality beats quantity every time, so there's no point trying to study on Friday evening if you're knackered from a full week's work, for example. It's tricky, because whilst you want to stick to a regular study pattern, there's no point ploughing on if your head's not in it at that particular point in time - better to sack it off and come back at it fresh the next day, if possible.

Fully aware that I've contradicted myself somewhat with this post - have regular hours for studying, but be flexible enough so that you are getting quality studying done.

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I am an English teacher and I am doing a full time OU degree in Psychology too. My advice is DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! Seriously, it is the one thing that will screw you. The workload is very manageable if you do something everyday. I try to put in a minimum of 1 hour everyday and I usually finish all my assignments with a fair amount of time to spare.

Be organised and disciplined with it and you will start to feel a sense of accomplishment, not only with the work but also with yourself, don't do this and it will drag you down, believe me.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Thanks guys there is some good advice in the thread which I will be taking on-board. I found this lecture on youtube which I thought was very useful as well.

Ive also found a method of note taking called the Cornell method. I'm not sure how much value it adds.

youtube, the cause of and solution to, all of lifes problems.

Just some further background I am doing this through distance learning which will have online/recorded lectures, prescribed reading and continuous assessment. Its in the computer science field. The course work seems to be laid out in a reading -> lectures -> reports/tasks format as you progress through the week. Then rinse repeat until you get a qualification or die of a meltdown.

Procrastination has always been a bit of a problem with me (I once had myself voluntarily banned from a forum so I could focus on my work at hand the last time I was in college) So organising myself is going to be really important. I'm working towards shifting my sleep pattern so I can do course work in the morning before work instead of after work, when I'm tired. Frankly I don't care if I'm a bit tired at work, or not operating optimally. This is more important.