1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Pentium 4 SFF mobo only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ohcyt, 22 May 2004.

1. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking about building a a custom small game/file/web/ftp server and I want it to be small so ATX is no option.

I currently have a Pentium4 2,8c processor and would like to use that CPU for this server (socket 478).

Can anyone suggest me a SFF motherboard that can handle this CPU?
    An Intel 875p chipset would be cool but I have no clue if such chipsets are used in these small form factors...

The Shuttle SB75G2 motherboard is what I'm looking for but I'm not looking for a case so barebones are no option. Is this mobo sold separately?

I've already seen this list ("34 mini itx boards, 21 specifications each") but it shows no s478 motherboards with AGP expansion slots, does that mean they don't exist in that form factor?

if so, perhaps something bigger? like micro-atx?

I don't really know anything about SFF but if anyone could kick me in the right direction, perhaps give me some useful links where I could learn more about it, then that would be great =)
    thx in advance

Last edited: 22 May 2004
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The mobos arent sold separately, but one company does and the prices are nearly as much as the whole shuttle barebones.

A 2.8C is an overkill for a server, I think there's one mini-itx p4 board that will support "C" processors but its only single channel ddr. Mini itx DOESNT have agp ports, only mini-agp but not on a P4 based board.

micro-atx will have agp and i865 more than likely; just check manufacturers websites, Aopen usually do the odd quite powerful matx board.

3. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

It doesn't have an agp slot, but then, the on board graphics are quite good.

http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/mb870.htm

Linked from mini-itx.com

I'm not sure about availability or whether you can even buy them in small numbers, ie one, but it could be good.

8-ball

4. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

I'll have a look at micro-atx then, I definetely want the AGP slot. I figured I'd best use this processor because I want it to be a dedicated game server.

for 'normal' server task (file/webserver etc) you think a less fast CPU would be enough? I don't want slow responses from the server. What are the min processor requirements I should be aiming for should I decide not to use the P4?

5. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

Why do you need AGP on a server?

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

server?
    you would get away with an 800MHz duron tbh, or slower, but it woudnt be any cheaper at that point

a server does much bugger all in the area of cpu usage (a server in a home anyway)

7. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

ok thanks for the tips on the server requirements end.

I wanted to know if there was an s478 SFF motherboard with AGP available because I'll have a pentium 4 processsor and an old GF4 Ti4200 which then could have a new life in the new case =)

seems like I'll have to either buy me a shuttle barebone and get rid of the case, or look at microATX boards. thanks for the suggestions anyway

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, game servers dont need power, only map changes need speed but more harddisk speed and ram is better. Moreso a fast net connection or a good switch is a better investment ;)

Shuttles are nice kit, they do a good range of 865/875 stuff, but try to get one without a northbridge fan cause they whine, and the psu's can be changed for silent x ones.

9. Kingston

Kingston What's a Dremel?

Tags: