1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pentium4 or celeron d

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbarber20, 6 Jan 2007.

1. dbarber20

dbarber20 What's a Dremel?

I have just installed my new cpu and i am left with a old pentium 4 516 @2.93GHZ. Now my mum has a celeron d @2.66GHZ and was woundering if it would be worth swaping them around. Would there be a notable increase of performance. Any advice would be greatly apreshated

Last edited: 6 Jan 2007
  2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

And put shortly, yes you should notice the increase depending on what you're doing, but the question is, does your mum need the extra power? If she just uses the computer for office things and going on the net, she won't need the power, and you might aswell sell the chip, and put it towards another upgrade.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2007
  3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No, it has a lower clockspeed.
    A common misconception is that the D stands for dual-core. This is rubbish, the D doesn't stand for anything.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd swap it - there won't be much of a difference in most things, but if you tested it with a benchmark suite, I'm sure the P4 would come out on top - Celly's are neutred in cache.

5. Joes2silly

Joes2silly What's a Dremel?

Pentium 4s have a higher cache and FSB which makes them more powerfull, so I would say you should swap the Celeron for the P4

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Swap the Celeron-D 2.66 for the P4 2.93. It'll be much quicker, particularly with the L2 cache being doubled and the higher clock speed.