1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Peter Molyneux says RPG games are rubbish

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Aug 2007.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Any opportunity to pimp Fahrenheit....

Seriously though, you're right, what's hardcore about simply timing stuff well? I didn't realise it was THAT simple. How could anyone possibly develop anything remotely resembling a personal fighting style when all you can do is time stuff well... or not time stuff well. Do you even have any choice over what happens?

2. fwalm

fwalm New Member

Yep there is away to control waht your doing, i think its something to do witht the analogue sticks as you can do different things. You need to see the Fable 2 Video Diary 2 as it gives a more depth into it. i'm sure theres a video on the internet somewere.

3. BoomAM

BoomAM New Member

Havnt read the whole thread, but i thought the new headline was wrongly titled.
    He critisises RPG combat, not RPG games.
    Which in all fairness, is mostly correct.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Only one button to fight? booooring...

While timing being important does sound like a rather good idea, just having a single combat button takes away all the tactics and skill - the game is no longer good for us hard-core gamers who like having to worry about a solid dozen different combat keys doing a dozen different things. While it might be better for casual gamers, I'd much rather have something more hard-core.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

While I greatly dislike the console fighting game combos (x, ^, r1, rotate stick, l2, o, stand on your head,...) this is a little too simple for me.

:hehe:

:thumb:

Edit: I don't think there is any one "best way". Look at games in general. In almost any genre there are some that focus on extreme realism and some that are incredibly "arcadey" and many that mix the two. Different people want different games and most of us enjoy a bit of both types.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2007
  7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I know, and all of them are like 5+ years old. And the ones I've played were not fantastically good either.

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

Wow, I dislike fable even more now. Except the part about getting women pregnant. Thats as funny as ever.

I loved oblivions combat system, and Dark Messiah was so much better I agree. This guy doesn't know what hes talking about.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think we'll just have to see how this one turns out, I think we have more control over the combat than everyone is making out, movement is still controlled by you (I think), and it won't be just a case of push button now for mega combo, you'll still need to force your opponent up to a wall before you can smash his head into it. I think to do really well in Fable's combat it might need quite a bit more skill than we're thinking.

But then again, it could turn out ****, but it can't be worse than Fable 1's combat system, that was basically one button combat.

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd New Member

I beat fable in 6 hours, the day I got it.

What an amazing game.....:rolleyes:

11. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

this (Fable 2 combat) sounds pretty lame .. I think I'll pass on that, thanks.

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm afraid, I'm going to have to go against my usual trend of disagreeing with Joe. I think this one button idea is dreadful. There is no reason why a game couldn't have simplified combat for novices, but a one-button combat system doesn't sound good at all.

But as ever, I'll reserve judgement until if seen some in-depth reviews.

[Oh, and am I the only one who didn't like DM of MM? Linear.]

13. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss New Member

galaga redux! woot! 1980s games combat style Cheesecake

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

Just watched that video. It didn't even look like combat to me. It looks like you're just running around and pressing X to activate pre-scripted combat animations with some rag doll tomfoolery thrown in at the end for visual flair.

15. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

the Black & White 1 was original but not playable i didn't last more then 30 minutes with that game, the B&W 2 was also trashed after 20min. Fable hold me about 10-15 minutes . So i like P.M's new ideas but the games he makes are not acceptable for me. Clive Barker on the other hand :naughty::naughty:

16. mattthegamer463

Dude, roller coasters are on rails too, do you think those aren't fun?

How was it linear? You could skip stuff, no do this, do optional that, multiple (but nearly identical) endings. Its no oblivion, but it definitely wasn't forcing and blatantly linear.

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Er... 'Dude'... I didn't get that far through it so it may have improved, but what I did see what linear. Slight variations were possible, but it was still linear. It was certainly more a FPS and not an RPG.

I know plenty of people liked it. I didn't.

18. mattthegamer463

You really should play the whole thing, even if you need to cheat a bit. Its great fun hacking up people with a katana at the end.

I agree, it had RPG elements, but it was a FPS at heart. Oblivion is a RPG that does the FPS thing as well. Combining the two would create an incredible game though.

19. evox

evox New Member

Most RPGs are ****? i hope you're not excluding your POS Creation known as Fable, it was a cruel joke at best.

20. cebla

cebla New Member

Did anyone ever play Star Fox Adventures on Gamecube? That was pretty much one button combat with directions and I found it quite boring although it did look cool. I think that one button combat with no directions would be pretty crap.

Tags: Add Tags