1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Phone bloatware, it's a con surely?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 17 Apr 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My missus asked me to have a look at her phone as she had lots of updates which she could not installed because of the error message not enough space. She does not have many apps and I managed to clear some space and install the updates. But it got me thinking that phones advertise has having, these days anyway, as having 16Gb of storage but a goodly chunk of that is taken up with Android OS and then apps that the manufacturer feels that you want or need and I wonder how they get away with it, or rather how we allow them to get away with it. if you are only getting a certain amount of storage then surely you are entitled to know this?

At least with most Android phones you can add a SD card unlike the overpriced Apple phones who one needs to sell their first born if you want reasonable storage.

Tablets also have the same issue, I have a Samsung Tablet and the amount of bloatware is ridiculous though be fair the Amazon Fire tablet my good lady got it did not compare and she promptly sold irt on.

It seems tech companies like mobile and broadband providers get pretty much make any ridiculous claim and get away with it. According to the National Infrastructure Commission the UK is being held back by poor mobile phone connectivity and Britain is 54th in the world for 4G coverage, and the typical user can only access 4G barely half the time. I can vouch for that as travelling around Edinburgh how crap the 4G coverage is. And there is talk of 5G, will this be another farce where the government makes billions selling off the licences but companies will still only provide a service that makes them the most money but still be third world?

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I root all of my phones and load a lightweight rom for them - Stock android, no apps except google play.

Modern phone bloatware is pretty ridiculous. I use mostly Samsung phones and all of them have had silly bloatware apps that I'll never use.

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Its why I've always put my money where my mouth is.

Nexus 5 Running stock android
    Nexus 6 Running stock android

Tomorrow:-
    Pixel XL running stock android. Cannot wait.

I hate what Samsung does to the user interface.

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I did have my LG G2 running Cynagen mod, but somehow it got corrupted and all I could work out how to do was to re-flash it again with the out of the factory ROM instead.

I'm waiting for my Dad to upgrade his phone later in the year when his Nexus 6P comes my way :)

I do agree the amount of junk that is put on phones these days a joke. I so do not like all the useless tat that goes on that takes up space and that I will never use.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I rooted my Oppo and put a vanilla Android on it. Just use Google for everything (chrome, play etc).

As a stock phone Oppo split the 16gb into two 8gb lumps which was too weird for me...

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I always found Sony Xperia stuff I had pretty good in that there wasn't much duplication and what they added was useful but the phones kept breaking so I went LG, their hardware was better but there is lots of crap I don't need, though some of it was good like the screen stay awake etc when you are looking at the screen, nice feature that went missing on newer LG phone.

My LG G4 is a bit battered now so I am in the market again soon, pretty much know what I want out of a phone but don't know what phone has what I want :D my list of requirements is good camera, good screen, good UI performance, NFC, SD card and HDMI connectivity, water proofing would be a bonus, as would getting it for £200, but I won't enforce that one :D

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I had moved to Sony phones back when they saw the light and stopped ruining stock android with pointless UI customizations.
    Then one day after an update there where suddenly two icons for one of the pre installed Sony apps rather than just one and neither could be removed.

Haven't paid the premium for any of the brands officially available in the UK since then and never missed anything.

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I've been really happy with my Pixel... battery life could be better so will look at the Pixel XL 2 whenever it decides to surface. Only thing I am not happy with is the heat and, therefore, the usability of Daydream (artefacts on screen, fry an egg on the case, etc after literally ten to fifteen minutes). I know it's intensive but why attempt it before the tech is ready...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The battery life on my Pixel XL has been pretty great. Two hours with the screen on max brightnees, bluetooth running, GPS running, etc, being used for nav and it still only got down to 35%. Normal use it can easily go all day without charging.