1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics PIC Noob

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thordiddy, 13 May 2005.

1. thordiddy

thordiddy What's a Dremel?

Hey I am a noob in the microcontroller department, and I wanted to buy a 16F84 and a programmer from it on digikey. Unfortunately, Im too dumb to figure out what to get. For the chip, I am thinking of this: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=340650&Row=433603&Site=US

but I cant figure out where to find a suitable and cheap programmer on the site. Can anyone check this out and tell me if I am buying the right chip and which programmer would be a good choice?

Thanks

2. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

3. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

my first programmer was a MELabs epic which ran about 50 bucks, and i had just gotten off Basic Stamps, so i threw in Pic Basic Pro which made just about every project ever easier.

its a little more expensive then the JDM, but it hasn’t failed me once in 4 years, and i have never had to worry whether it was my programmer or my circuit that wasn’t working :hehe:

there are several build-your-own projects out there, but they all require a PCB and parts, which when you get around to it can be $20 or $30 anyway...

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

if u were going to spend 50 bucks, get an ICD2. Much better than a programmer, this will allow you to SEE what codes been run on the device. Very useful tool.

BASIC, don't waste time with it. These uC's are soo low end you really don't want the overhead, and it pays to learn the PIC properally as there are some loverly hardware features which a lot of high level lanugages (BASIC PIC PRO included) miss out on.

other programmers:
    WARP13 - By far the best non-ms programmer, pricey thou.
    JDM/PonyProg (goole will find schematics) cost about £8 GBP

5. thordiddy

Okay, I finally got the chips in the mail. Now, I am gunna build this programmer. I am going to use the circuit you suggested to me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/minerva2/PICProg.gif

My only question is, what are ZD1 and ZD2. I am assuming that they are Zener diodes, but Im not positive. Also, will any transistors work, or should I look for a special model?

Thanks

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

any signal transistor with suitable voltage will do, they don't need to be fast, or have much gain, their going straigh to saturation anyway.

Yup there zenors, on the schematic its like |>Z excuse the ASCII but thats a Z instead of a Z. Note the voltage raiting next to them.

7. thordiddy

Okay, I am building the circuit, but couldn't get my hands on an 8 volt zener diode required in the schematic. All I could get what a 5 volt and a 12 volt zener diode. Which one do you guys think would make this thing work?

Thanks again guys!