1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PicoPSU and C2D E8400, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FaSMaN, 12 Mar 2010.

1. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

Hi , Im trying to build a ultra small factor pc (scratch build) but Im having a hard time finding a small enough PSU that can actually power everything. The biggest I could find that might actually fit is a "PicoPSU-150-XT" (on ebay ), but I dont know if it will be enough to run everything.

It needs to run:

Zotac Geforce 9300-ITX Wifi
    Core 2 Duo E8400 (Would really want it to run a Q9400 but thats probably stretching it)
    2x 2GB DDR- 800 kingston Value ram
    ATI 4650 (low profile GFX card I can find at the moment)
    3x Seagate 320gig 2.5" Hdds
    3x 80mm fans

The rig wont have a dvd rom or cd rom and will rely on a external usb.

Will this psu work, or is there another "pico" size one that I can use for the rig?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A 65W processor probably isn't such a good idea with such a small amount of power. It'll probably work, depends on the TDP of that graphics card though.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Not recommended at all (unless you like fireworks).
    How small do you need. A 1u psu is quite small & comes in 300w - 400w sizes

4. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

Krikkit according to google its 30w but I dont know if I can trust the source

Saspro Very little at the moment Ive got less than 7cmx15cmx6cm(high) and thats pushing it a bit.

So maybe go for a E5200 instead of the E8400?

PS Thanks for the very quick responses :)

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

E8400's are definitely not 30W. E5200's are also 65W according to Intel.

If you do have a 775 board I'd say your best option is a 45nm dual core and underclock/undervolt it.

If it were me I'd buy a 1U PSU and try and rehouse the internal circuitry, although that's only if you're comfortable with some pretty dangerous high voltage electronics... PSU's aren't for fooling with.

6. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

Sorry Krikkit I mean 30w for the GFX card.

Dont really have any problem with rehousing it I do a lot of high voltage work anyway, but prefer to only do that if its the only possible option left.

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

This is close to the size.

Thermaltake do a PSU that fits in to a 5.25" bay, it's about CDROM sized. I'll dig out the one I've got out at home & give it a measure

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

If you're building an "Ultra small PC" why not spec it as an "ultra small pc" rather than trying to cram a fully fledged PC into the smallest possible space?
    Even if you did manage to get a PSU teeny enough to power the machine, you may find you have other issues with cooling etc...

What about building something slightly larger and trying something like a Shuttle PSU? IF you want an ultra small machine, look at a mini ITX/Epia or w/e the ultra teeny form factor is now adays?

<edit> you may also want to think about load from other stuff in the machine too... While fans/hdd's don't draw a lot, at boot you've got em all starting up at the same time which may add additional strain to an already on the edge PSU </edit>

9. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

Thank you Saspro I think that might actually fit if I move things around a bit :), just a pity it doesn't look like they ship here but Im sure I can find one locally :), thanks again for your help.

Highland3r I can see your point but I really wanted to do this to prove just how much performance one can get out of a extremely tiny place, I could have bought a atom itx motherboard instead but then it would have been just another atom build(no offense to atom owners but there's a lot),but I wanted something different :)

Ive allready done a few dry tests by connecting a psu externally and it seems that thermally everything seems to be allright, but that might change with the addition of the internal psu but I doubt it will be the end of the world and can be worked around.

I fully understand that a pc draws more power on cold boot than actually running but it wouldn't take too muck time to add a relay and a timer for non essential items to start later(fans for instance), but it could still be a bit of a problem, Ill look into it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010