1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Pictures ADvice, cutting!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bogomip, 19 Mar 2004.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

When people cut astuff out for their websites, like people from a DVD still or something! How do they do it so accuratele ? is it a matter of literally cutting round taking lots of time ? or is there a tool in photoshop or something ?

Any advice is nice, ive been trying this on and off for years and havent been able to (and thus gacve up on the idea i had completele)!

Thanks!

2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

It really depends on the backdrop the person/object is against. If they're wearing dark clothes against a light background, it is much easier.

The magic wand in PSP can be used to good effect, but I prefer using the Magnetic Lassoo in PS as you have more direct control.

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

oh my god, that megnetic thing is JUST what i need :D thanks alot :) the magic wand is also great, magic you might say :) a bit difficult forcomplex things... for both actually, however there still grand :) Ta :)

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Yeah, plus the professionals get it so accurate because they take photos of things like DVD players against a contrasting background on purpose just for this reason :)

5. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Just to add what I've learned in the past few weeks, if you've got Photoshop you can use the pen tool to create an easily editable path, then when you've finished your path, simply go to the paths window and click "Create Selection from Path" or something like that, and then copy/paste to your hearts content.
    I just hate using the lasso just to slip and restart.

6. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

there are proper plugins for doing this sort of thing, such as knock out and extensis mask

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

for which program ?? :?

8. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Photoshop plugin format.
    So any program that supports that (ie photoshop paint shop pro etc)

9. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Photoshop's own Extract tool is quite up to the task as well.

As someone else had suggested, I primarily use the pen tool these days for isolating something from an image. Other tools may work well, but where many of them are lacking is in the edges. Most of them do not create smooth edges around the extracted portion of the image. With the pen tool, it's as smooth as you've drawn it.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

thanks for all the help, thanks to this thread ive been able to cut a fish :)

[​IMG]

:D:D