1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

Discussion in 'General' started by Blademrk, 29 May 2007.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Anyone else seen this yet? what did you think of it?

I went last night and although I enjoyed it, it didn't seem as good as the previous two.

and I thought
    Calysto would have done something serious to either the Pirate Lords (who seemed to stay well out of the fight, which is after all the pirate way - see how the battle goes before running away) or to Davy Jones (after Barbossa and Will twisting the knife) rather than just create a Maelstrom.

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I thought it was utter rubbish and best avoided by all.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Really very disappointing. I expected far more from such a build up but it was dragged out beyond all belief.
    Everyone double crosses each other to such a point where you don't care and it becomes ridiculous. I struggled to find it entertaining and it was seriously lacking in the funny.

The CG was good, and that's about it.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

At the end of the day, you can't trust a pirate.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I was told that they began filming this movie without a finished script. It shows.

The story is totally confused to the point that nobody, not even the writers, know what is going on. It really seemed to me that some parts of the story were created for the sole purpose of special effects.

Chow Yun-Phat's character served no purpose in the story, and could have been left out altogether. The sub-plot with Calypso and Davy Jones was rather pointless, and seemed to exist as justification for creating a big CG maelstrom. The movie dragged on far too long. By the end, I had no reason to care about any character because I no clue what was going on. I have no idea why anyone would fear death in this story, because all the major characters that died have come back to life.

Everything that made the first one good - the comedy, Jack's light-hearted character, the pacing of the action, the basic limited story - this movie was not. It trudged along with overly-complicated twisting storylines and action sequences that dragged on past the point of interest. All of the characters have changed so much, they are unrecognizable from their original versions. By the end, I was just glad to stand and stretch my legs.

Also, I can't believe I sat through all those credits for an utterly pointless extra bit.

This franchise should have ended after the first one. Unfortunately, it looks like they're going to make a 4th one.

-monkey

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4th? Sod that.

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I BitTorrent'ed it, and considered asking for my bandwidth money back!

Honestly, it was nowhere near as good as the first two, and went on for about an hour too long.

I love pirates, I really do, but I don't think I'll ever watch this film again.

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

QFT

9. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross New Member

I watched the second one last night around 2am, and I thought it was pretty dire. Although, I didn't pay much attention to it. Hopefully going to see AWE soon, though I don't have high hopes for it.

I hope this Summer of sequels doesn't continue being disappointing.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

It did start off a bit slowly but the
    double crossing wasn't too much to keep up with
    , and
    the pirate **** fight scene was possibly some of the best bit of cinema in a long time (that i have seen). The marriage, the fights, the comedy! Woo!

Though I will agree it was a bit too long, there were scenesthat didn't have to be there though a few were nice little tidbits in silent support of jacks prior exclamations of grandiose (
    crabs carrying boats out to sea, his fathers mentioning sea turtles!
    ). I wont watch it again in a hurry but I wouldn't not stick it on at the end of a pirates marathon :)

11. Cookiemonster101

Cookiemonster101 New Member

I agree the CG parts were pretty good, but almost everyone I know fell asleep at least sometime during the movie...it dragged out way too long!

12. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 New Member

actually i liked this movie a lot. especially the marriage.

13. DivineSin

DivineSin New Member

I thought the movie was pretty funny, it didn't mind to make fun of itself and although it was pretty damn long the story was far from hard to understand. I found it quite entertaining how pretty much every single character double crossed another throughout the film, definitely kept with the whole pirate theme. The CG was pretty damn good but I thought Davey Jones' crew seemed to be lacking in the CG department and stood out amongst the likes of the big tentacled crab.

P.S. - Jack has just about the best opening scene I have seen for any character ever made in any movie ever released (lol). Go little crabs, go.

14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Overly convoluted plot frustrated me no end. Crazy Jack was hilarious though.

With the maelstrom - only 2 ships fight - everyone stands around to see who wins? That's complete BS

And what's with the good (or are they bad) guys at the end -
    "We out number them 10:1 and out gun them 50:1 but they sunk our flag ship so let's run away." WTF?!?!!?

:sigh: They better be going back to their roots that made the first movie great for the 4th.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

When people say 'long', is it as long as Return of the King?
    So there are mixed reations to this, im hopefully of to see it this week/end so i shall make my own verdict.

Sam

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

168 mins according to IMDB. ROTK felt like 3 weeks watching it but this felt like a 2 hour movie.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Just got round to seeing it, no-where near as the first film. It's like the matrix trilogy all over again, first film, a masterpiece, there didn't need to be a sequel. Then they made a crappy two-parter sequel. Both series' would be better off without their sequels.

There are only a few franchises (non-comedy) that do well with sequels, and this wasn't one of them. I agree with other comments that there was lots of pointless fluff in this film that made it seem like they had a team of writers, each one acting on their own and not communicating to each other. When the jigsaw pieces didn't fit they just hammered them together till they did.

18. woof82

woof82 New Member

Better than spiderman 3 tbh XD

I went to the cinema expecting it to be terrible, it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't great either. Just a kind of watch it for the comedy value kind of a movie more than anything,

19. nicotine

nicotine New Member

And don't forget Kiera Knightly :D :D :D :D

20. woof82

woof82 New Member

And Johnny Depp!! <3

Tags: