1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Planning a File/Media Server Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by talladega, 16 Jan 2012.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've been planning a server build in my head for months now and I'm getting close to building it, but I didn't have a case for it. For what I want (small and compact yet plenty of room for hard drives) there wasn't much available.

Did some drawing and think about it then spent an evening drawing it up in google sketchup. It's not extremely detailed but the dimensions are all pretty exact.

Here's the components and features I plan to use in this build.

Motherboard/CPU Combo - JetWay NF99FL-525 Intel Atom D525 MiniItx
    Power Supply - FSP Group FSP220-60LE 220W
    Memory - Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3 1066 SO-DIMM
    StarTech MiniPCI Express to SATA adapter to add 2 extra SATA ports
    Amahi Home Server run on Fedora 14 with GreyHole Drive Pooling

No DVD drive.
    Will have power output connectors to plug in modem, router and switch to reduce the amount of power outlets used on the UPS/Surge Protector.

I currently have 5 HDDs I can use for the server.
    1 x 80GB for the OS and Landing Zone for Greyhole
    2 x 250GB for drive pool
    1 x 640GB for drive pool
    1x 1TB for drive pool

Eventually once HDD prices come down I will replace the drive pool HDD's with 2TB drives. With the StarTech miniPCIe to Sata adapter I can have a total of 8 HDDs.

Here's some pics of my planning in sketchup so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The holes for fans will be changed to slots or something yet. Power button will be in the back as well as some USB ports.

I am hoping to have all the panels laser cut.
    Anyone know of a place online that does it for a good price?

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OHOH! I have an Intel reference D330 Atom mini-itx board at home - passively cooled with Zalman heatsinks and low profile Kingston memory if you want it? It's just sitting in a box doing FA. It has a PCI slot and I have a Silicon Image 4/5 port SATA card that goes in it. The only reason I don't use it is that FreeNAS can't see that chipset :( It's only got 1 DIMM slot and takes 2GB of memory though - but you won't be able to use 8GB on an Atom system anyway: they are limited to 2GB iirc.

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If FreeNas wont recognize it, then wouldnt Fedora not either? pics please? :)
    would be tempting to build one with the stuff I have listed and then build a secondary one for my parents using yours which could synchronize with mine over VPN..... :naughty:

oops, I just realize I wrote 2x4GB for ram. It's 2x2GB.

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Only recently came across Amahi Home Server looks pretty good, I'd be interested in seeing how it performs. Currently running unRAID which works well but is a pain to get additional software running on.

Sub'd

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I did some virtual machine testing with it. Just to see how the drive pooling works and stuff. Not sure how the performance is, but as long as I can stream a 1080P movie that's fine, and I'm sure that wont be a problem. One thing I really like about Amahi and its drive pooling is that I can choose which folders I want to be duplicated and how many duplicates. It also allows files to very easily be recovered if my server should die. The drives can simply be plugged into any pc and I can read the files directly off the drive.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'd plump for an E-450 board then. They come with better hardware (Gigabit Ethernet for starters), larger memory support and more SATA ports as standard.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

The Jetway board in my first post has dual intel gigabit ports and 6 sata ports.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ohhh they've put the D525 with an ICH9R! That's.. inventive. I wonder how the drivers would work for that - if Intel's standard inf's care about the CPU or not.

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Think it's a good board?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No idea. Jetway server boards are usually basic but completely functional at the very least, although not performance optimized. At least you can return it to Newegg if it doesn't work as advertised.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh! If Supermicro do it too then I would go with Jetway. At least you know Intel is supporting it if Supermicro are doing it, but the Jetway is more powerful and cheaper.

13. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

unRaid uses the Reiser file system so if you have a multiple disk failure you can just pull any drive and read it but the ability to have increased protection of individual shares I think is an awesome idea.

Not too fussed if I loose a few movies I can just re rip them from my DVD's but loosing photo's/video/documents is a big deal so having multiple copies of that seems like an awesome feature.

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Yeah that makes sense. The one nice thing about the supermicro is that it has a pci express slot which could be used to add extra sata ports. And there are alot more reviews and info about the supermicro. The difference just seems to be between the D510 and D525, right? I can get the supermicro D510 for $163 free 2day shipping on Amazon.

I also found that supermicro makes a D525 version. I can seem to find it for a reasonable price though. But I did find on newegg that they make a FlexATX version of it, which is essentially Mini-Itx but just 0.75" wider. Cost of that one is the same as the Jetway board. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182242)

The benefit I see of the supermicro boards is they seem to be more commonly used and have a better reputation. They have much more reviews that are all positive as well. They also have pci express which would make adding extra sata ports cheaper as that mini pcie adapter is quite a bit pricier than a basic pcie sata controller.

What do you think? Maybe I'm missing something here. You know much more about motherboard stuff than I do.

Yeah that is one of my favorites parts of Amahi. I can set my pictures and documents folder to have a duplicate on every drive while my movies aren't duplicated at all and then have my music duplicated once or something.

Oh, I also stopped at a metal place today and it sounds like it will cost $40 - $50 to laser cut all the panels. Does that seem too high? Thats not included the cost of the aluminum, which i can get very cheap.