1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Planning my scratchbuilt laptop cooler

Discussion in 'Modding' started by its, 18 Jan 2009.

1. Zeroignite

Zeroignite So I decided to simulate a Universe

Peltiers would make your battery last 10 minutes, and would heat more than cool.

2. its

its What's a Dremel?

Try reading the previous posts in this thread.

1: In case that I would be connecting the cooler to USB, it would be connected to my USB hub which runs on external power.

2: I do never run this laptop on battery.

3: I said that if I did it the peltier-way, I would connect it to the powerline.

:)

3. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

If you're not opposed to the wedge shape of most laptop coolers, just do what everyone else has done. Put a couple of fans with the airflow pointing upward into the intake vents, this should increase airflow which will help with cooling. Just make sure the fans have a decent static pressure rating.

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

The inlets are underneath on the few laptops i've looked at aswell, i didn't think to re-ask the same question twice :duh:

So don't forget that inlet fans must be filtered very well! Unless you are willing to clean the dust out of your laptop often, which is a bit of a pain compared to a desktop pc!

Peltiers wouldn't have a chance to flatten the battery though, they'd destroy the usb port first! :hehe:

It would be pretty cool to make a large piece of ac powered, peltier cooled copper for the laptop to sit on... You'd need a serious water cooling setup for it however...

It might be easier to just make a desktop pc, and just use the laptop when you are mobile?

5. its

its What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I have actually thought about building a i7 rig, but the prices vs. performance doesn't seem good enough for me yet. I'll wait a few months to see what will come up :)

The peltier-method would maybe be overkill. But like you said. If I bought 2x 120mm fans, one of them pointing upwards into the below the CPU (in the upper left corner), and the other one below the RAM pointing downwards. Would that work out?

6. mvagusta

You could, but i dunno if you'll find a blower that works in reverse? Even if you were to modify a fan, you'd need a fan that can run in reverse!

So could you fit a cooler where the inlet fan in standing up, behind the lcd?
    You could always go for a single fan setup this way, which blows air under the whole laptop.

BTW, have you got a soldering iron? And experience in using one?

7. its

its What's a Dremel?

Yeah, got a soldering iron and have experience using one ;) Think I got all the basic stuff I'd use.. Dremel etc.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd just take the easy way and use normal 80 mm fans:

[​IMG]

mvagusta likes this.
  9. its

its What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty cool. So the fans are making the air flow out??

Like this:
    [​IMG]

I am on linux now, so don't have photoshop running. So GIMP all the way, lol.

10. mvagusta

Jipa's diagram looks similar to what i meant by having a fan standing vertically behind the screen, which is blowing air towards the laptop. I was thinking to use a single fan, either 80 or 120, blowing in the direction of the cpu inlet and all the surplus air flows on to cool the rest of the laptop base. Two fans will mean more airflow and better cooling, how much better i dunno.
    Those fans do seem to be pushing air away from the laptop though, so in that case you'd probably want to put a guide or foam seal so that the rear fans aren't starving/competing with the cpu fan inlet for air.
    Here's a side view of what i meant:
    [​IMG]
    The red bit is the fan, the blue is the filter, and the white body guides the air under the whole laptop. You'd need to drill heaps of holes where you want the air to come out of, such as cpu, ram, hdd, and any other hot spots. You can calculate how many holes of a given size will equal the area of a 120mm fan, and you can stay just under that number to put a little bit of pressure on the system/ increase airflow through each hole.

11. Jipa

Yeah pretty much the same design. I just don't think axial fans will push air through that thing + the holes. My idea was to just have some sort of soft gasket to run around the frame and just place the laptop evenly over that. And the fans in my drawing are pushing air under the laptop (guessing those are intakes on the bottom of your lappy).

A bit of a ghetto solution, but I like to KISS ;)

12. its

its What's a Dremel?

I to pretty much like both ideas - but which one would cool my laptop best?

But instead of drilling small holes (if I would be using mvagusta's method), I'd drill 40-120mm holes, and fit them with panels like AC Ryan's MeshX panels (like this: [​IMG]).

I can almost see how nice it would be with two of these 80mm coolers from northq:
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

13. Jipa

I'd say my design doesn't require so much static pressure from the fans and thus "cools better", but ofcourse I can't be sure. Also it will rise the laptop more, which might hurt the work ergonomics...

14. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

For axial fans, air always blows towards the spokes.

For the blower, instead of trying to reverse the flow, just duct the 'exhaust' of it into your vents. Reversing the flow on a fan is trickier than you might think, plus the curvature of the blades is optimized to be run in a specific direction.

15. its

its What's a Dremel?

I'm never using my laptop itself. I've plugged my external sound card, screen, keyboard, mouse etc. to it.. It is just placed beside of the screen :) So don't care about the ergonomics. :p

16. Jipa

D'oh why didn't I think of THAT :D I'm pretty sure this right here would give you the best performance and would also make the thing rather flat. Radial fans are better at pushing air through stuff, so they might be the way to go.

17. its

its What's a Dremel?

Dudes, didn't understand a word of that - sorry.

18. mvagusta

Using some grills or mesh instead of drilling holes would be fine. Either way, the aim is to have just a tiny bit less surface area then the fan, so the amount of pressure we are talking about is just enough to barely feel the airflow. Don't forget it's one or two 12v fans running slowly & silently from 5v! It would be damn cool to have so much pressure however, that the laptop rises & floats Jipa :hehe:

You could use a blower and duct the air up to the cpu, same thing as ducting a radial fan like in the last rough sketch really.

19. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Already made one,same shape as Jipa's design only using a USB powered 120mm fan on the base blowing onto underside of laptop.Took about an hour to make,only a rough n ready model at the moment but works ok and laptop seems happier.Dont know what effect it has on the battery life,only use it when plugged into mains

20. its

its What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody

Sorry for my late reply (didn't got an e-mail, and I've just checked my CP today - lol).

I think I'll give Jipa's design a try. Hope that I can make a project log if anyone would be interested.

mvagusta likes this.