1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Please look at my planned build :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolicus, 23 Apr 2011.

1. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Hey guys new to these forums!

I was hoping you could give me feedback on my planned PC build?

By the end of the month I'm going to start buying parts for my new gaming PC build which will be the first PC I will have ever built myself !

Anyway since this is costing me upwards of a £1000 and I'm a sprightly 18 year old currently slaving away in an apprenticeship at £433 a month (going up to £600 in a few months though ) this is a rather big investment so I want to make sure I'm getting the most of my money.

I've been getting help from other forums but I figured it's not a bad idea to get as much information as possible. So without further ado I would like to pose a number of questions before posting my current build proposal.

Q.1 - What anti static measures should I take?
    Q.2 - What tools/paste/paste remover should I buy to build this - is it as simple as getting a screwdriver? I don't mind spending a little more to get a tool set that will allow me to do things a little safer/easier!
    Q.3- Any tips for applying thermal paste & as I'm buying a retail issue processor is it worthwhile to remove the pre applied paste and apply my own of a better brand?

Build -my current build is around £1000 for the hardware although I could probably stretch to £1100:

Cooler Master Haf X £120
    Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular PSU (ebuyer do a bundle with a 750W for the HAF X so is this worthwhile - I am planning to add a second 6970 in Crossfire in the future though) £100
    RADEON HD6970 £256
    Asus P8P67 EVO Rev3, Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard (I take it this has the room for another 69 series card?) £155
    Intel CPU Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor £165
    Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit £81
    x2 Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - HDD (probably in RAID once I learn how to do that :p!) £80ish
    Then for wireless internet connection: TP-Link TL-WN851N Wireless N PCI Adapter ( I think that should work :p) £15
    Can anyone recommend me a good optical drive for my PC :p?

I'm intending to overclock my i5 2500k at least to 4 Ghz as this seems relatively simple perhaps even to near the 4.5 figure many get once I've got some more confidence so I really need a good after market cooler suggested £60 or under some I've been looking at include:

Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler: £40
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+ £20
    Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler £45

What is giving me the biggest headache at the moment is deciding on my monitor I can go up to about £250 and am looking at the 22" - 24" range one that has particularly taken my attention is this:

Samsung SyncMaster P2450H TFT LCD 24" HDMI Monitor which I can get for £180.

The thing is I don't want to buy anything naff and would rather lose 2 inches for a 22" if it means a better quality screen for gaming but from what I can see this screen looks a great deal!

Operating system is obviously going to be Windows 7 Home Premium which at the cheapest I can find is £100.

The headset I'm looking at is the Razer RZ04-00270100-R3M1 Carcharias Gaming Headset 2.1 Stereo Sound £69.30 (seems to be the best under £100?)
    Mouse and Keyboard look like they will be as follows:
    Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse £41.30
    Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard £51.40

If you've made it this far I'd like to thank you for wading through all of this as I really appreciate the help!