1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Please recommend parts for a SMALL/QUIET PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reg216uk, 14 Aug 2012.

1. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Hello if anyone could post me some builds that would be amazing...

Im looking to build a very quiet very small PC which ill be using as a fileserver / media centre / and possible a little bit of gaming.

Ive looked at shuttles and mini ITX etc... Price isnt really a concern so to speak im just struggling to work out what I want. To be honest it doesnt even matter if it has any gaming grade components in just yet but must be able to be upgraded if needed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

PS i wanna stick a couple of 3-4 TB hdds in there too

3. Air_Cooling

Air_Cooling What's a Dremel?

Get this month's Custom PC as it has a great labs test on mini-ITX cases, parts that go in them etc

4. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

I shall do this.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

A completely passive silent and low power small system is quite easy and not very expensive to build for server duty. There are lots of good Fusion APU based itx boards with passive design. I would go for something like that if I was building right now. I built my Pentium g620 h67 based system with the possibility of future gaming and I have never and likely never will use it for that. The system is nice but is total overkill hardware wise for being a file server primarily. I could have saved a lot of money as there really wasn't anything wrong with the Atom system it replaced function wise.
    Looks like you already have a decent computer for gaming, if I were you I would just leave this to server duty to simplify things and focus on low power and silence instead.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

If the cash back offer is still on buy a HP Microserver and fit a GPU into it.