1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Plexiglass question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Omnipotence, 12 May 2004.

1. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere (my searching skills are pretty bad) but I've got a question regarding plexi which will ultimately decide the appearance of my case-mod.

The front of my case is curved, and my plan is to have a plexi panel in front of it. Is it possible to heat plexi to a certain level and bend it into shape without breaking? If heating isn't the way to go, is there any other method of bending? I'm not talking about anything major.

Thanks in advance to any relevant replies.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

shoild be ok... just don't heat it too much, or else you will get bubbles... also: don't use solvents on it afterwards... it could make the glass crack...

a good idea would be to make the shape you want out of wood and bend around it...

3. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

basically what smilodon mentioned, but just take your time and go slow. if you rush it you will ruin your plexi

4. File

File What's a Dremel?

if you are bolting it, or making the plexi immovable with much strength... some plexi is very bendable and would hold shape if bolted or epoxied correctly.

5. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Set it over mold and use a painters heat gun.

6. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I was thinking along the exact same terms. Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I should be able to do what I have planned :dremel:

7. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You can buy a heat gun or embossing gun fairly cheap and effective heat-warp thin (1/16th to 1/8th) Acrylic over most surfaces. BUT you will also need to use leather work gloves and wear a filter mask and do this in a ventilated area to prevent inhalation of the fumes. It's fairly easy to do, you'll just need to be careful not to overheat the front of the case or the sheet.

:::: DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOUR CASE FRONT PANEL IS PLASTIC ::::
    Most plastic case faceplates are made of ABS and have a much lower melting point than clear acrylic(used for scratch-resistant window), acetate (laminating plastic), butyrate(laminating plastic), or polyethelene (molding plastic).
    Polycarbonate (GE Lexan, Hyzod, Tuffak) will not be an easy substitute when heat-warping is required since it require a much higher temperature to warp (375f versus 220f)

If you do have a plastic front panel/faceplate, you will need to make a bending template or mold out of another material.