1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polarising filter

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Xen0phobiak, 2 Jun 2008.

1. Vers

Vers ...

No, I meant what I said...and yes, it will save your glass. A hood has two purposes: 1. Shade the front element to decrease glare 2. to protect your lens from a nose dive fall. If you do not believe me, and no offense, perhaps you should do some research on the topic.
    A CPL is designed to give your image more saturation (more vibrant blues, more lush greens as well as warmer tones) and cut reflections down.
    A UV, OTOH, doesn't do much at all except protects your front element to a degree. Before lens developers added coatings to lens elements lenses were more susceptible to UV light, now with added coatings a UV is relatively pointless in that regard. Also, AA filters and the cameras sensor itself filters out UV light. As for IQ, UV filters are prone to flare and decrease overall IQ, they hadn't when people were shooting film, but now when shooting digital they are better served as "protective" filters.

2. Vers

Vers ...

Unless you got the slim version of that CPL, you are going to have some issues, specifically pertaining to increased vignetting. At least thats what has been reported.

EDIT: It seems as though some report it, while others have no issues...weird.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

AFAIK all the digital ones are slimline?

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Nah, you pay a good premium for the slim filters. I'm not sure it's worth it though, seeing how easy it is to correct vignetting in PP (not as good as having it right the first time, but you don't need five stops of recovery either).

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I, as often stated in the past, have to go with the lens hood for protection. Think of it as a crumple zone for your lens. Any modern optic is coated to all hell to resist scratching and glare. UV filters are a sales gimmick, no more. Sales margins are low on expensive glass and very high on useless accessories. Which is why you have the urban myth of the UV filter.

I know 2 shooters that don't even bother with lens caps -front or rear. And none of them have a nick or scratch on their lenses. I have shot in sea spray and dust storms, a simple dust off or lens cloth is fine. No scratches. I have used vodka and a tissue in a pinch and no scratches. I have dropped my lenses, tossed them in jeeps, left them outside. All with out UV filters and they are fine. It's a myth to get that last dime out of you. If you need a filter for harsh light or reflections, use a Circ-pol like you are supposed to. If not, let the lens do what it was designed to do and not mess up a perfectly good optical formula.

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

uh, meant all the digital variants of the pro-1 filters, because it uses uberthin glass regardless.

7. Vers

Vers ...

Ah, a fellow voice of logic.

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Interesting discussion. I'll try ditching the UV filters for a months time and see what happens. I'm using lens hoods all the time anyways. Sounds like I've been using double protection.
    JJs wording won me over :)
    One question creeps up though JJ: What quality lenses are those you've tossed around so much? I'm asking because it wouldn't surprise me if Canon L lenses were made to take a beating while the "cheaper" ones are more prone to damage.