1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning POM?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jehla, 6 Jan 2014.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Hi all,

I'm looking for a workable plastic, something that won't shatter like perplex. My first thought is the stuff which the top of water blocks are made from since its often milled, drilled and tapped. It's only referred to as POM (Polyoxymethylene?) which is a new one to me.

Has anyone any experience working with pomp?
    Are there any better alternatives?
    Any decent suppliers out there?

Its still a little bit on the pipedream side of things, but it will be a structural internal frame for a case.

Cheers.

2. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

pom is very expensive so most likely your budget wont fit a internal frame of pom.
    other options are pvc, this is relatively nice to mill and tap.
    best option would be thicker acrylic since thick material does not breake. or aluminium ofcourse.

Jehla likes this.
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

POM/delrin/acetal is delicious and easy to work with, but it's heavier, more expensive, and hard to get a polished finish on.
    Flat PVC is a lot more flexible than plexi of the same thickness, but it can be glued.
    But if you are doing a frame, aluminum would be best. It's lighter and cheaper.

Jehla likes this.
  4. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Thanks,

I was concerned about joining aluminium.
    I'll give it another look as my design has been reworked since I saw an atx mobo tray on the market place which would make a suitable backbone if I can find a gpu waterblock.