1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Portfolio site

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mad-Axl, 9 Aug 2006.

1. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

Over the past week myself and a friend have been putting together a portfolio of work to show clients. Alot of content is missing including one or two pages (no pop-ups for browsing images and no quote form) but the design is there to see.

Feel free to add any comments good or bad and perhaps suggest a few options to improve the site. If you find any errors in the layouts please tell me about them including which browser your using so i can investigate!!

http://www.thebelfryhotel.co.uk/zest/des/index.php

Thanks for your time! Rich

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

very nice i like it! :D

However, i would like to make some suggestions:
    Code:
    html 
    {
         overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical;
    }
    put that in your css

This basically makes scroll bars appear. Thus stopping the judder when you move from a page with scroll bars to a page without.

Next. there is no feedback on those buttons... My personal opinion, use a navigation based on a list.. not only is this far more accessable but its also allows for rollovers and on states.

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/index.htm

have a look at that site for a whole load of navigations based on the <ul><li></li></ul> tags.

finally, i don't like those white lines dividing the different background patterns. Also, there is a black bar thats underneath the white line in the footer, this just looks bad.

Everything else just needs tidying up etc etc.

keep us posted on the final outcome.

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

In the request a free quote - its spelt intuitive.

I like the design of the site from my first look.

4. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

Thanks for you comments, i will look into redesigning the menu as your right it does need to give the user somekind of feedback.

I have removed the black line in the footer image and have added/played around with your code but it adds two scrollbars in firefox for some reason!!

5. will.

thats weird.... no idea why without looking more closely at your code..

I think you need to get rid of those white lines - that divide the background - altogether and make it a drop shadow....

like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Aug 2006
  6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

7. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Yeah it gives too scrollbars... ugly...

Anyways it's not a big deal to get "jitters" as Will describes.

The white does set it off... might be useful to change it to perhaps a light grey...

I think though the site has much potential. It's nice to see a little change in the usual.

Oh one thing. You really don't want to use a image map for navigation.

8. will.

I'm guessing that its simply conflicting code. I have that on several websites and both ie and firefox interpret it fine.

Leaving the browser to its own devices is fine, and i'd love to be able to.... unfortunately, for pages that are center aligned and are sometimes above and sometimes below the fold the whole page judders as you go from one to the other. That overflow trick makes sure that firefox always displays a scroll bar, thus the page is always in the same place.

9. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

looks good... I can't use a lot of the links since I leave javascript disabled by default, but if I were looking for a designer I would disable script blocking for the site.

I always like to have my links be normal links that when clicked go to a page with the information, or use javascript to immediately display the information, that way the same content is available whether you have javascript enabled or not.

On a portfolio site I'm not sure this matters, since you also won't be targeting the visually impaired...

10. alter_ego

alter_ego What's a Dremel?

:) very nice indeed, i like it alot, especially the nice fresh lime colour you've opted with, and the patterned wallpaper. nice work.