1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM Possible 1st POTM Entry(s)

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by HellRazor, 13 Apr 2008.

1. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,
    I've watched with some interest for sometime in the photo of the month contest, I think its about time I get my feet wet! I've seen so much good advice given on here, I would like any that can be supplied to me. These were taken top a hillside overlooking the City at sunrise. These were both taken on my Canon XTi using the (crappy) 18-55m lens.

This one is untouched other than cropping in Photoshop

[​IMG]

The second has the addition of a 20% heavy yellow filter, and then an additional 25% orange filter. Brightness and contrasts adjustments as well.
    [​IMG]

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I like the second one. It seems so be something strange with the glow around the sun, though.

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I am quite a fan of #2, I think that's a shot to be proud of. I'd like to see an unedited version to understand the flare above/around the sun, as Smilodon pointed out. That's quite distracting and it makes the sun look like a mushroom cloud from a nuclear bomb. :) If it could be fixed, it would really help the picture.

Also, I'd try some lightening of the city-scape below, if not a touch of flat-out HDR. There's some great potential in this shot if you were shooting RAW, but a bit more post-process could help a lot.

4. HellRazor

As requested, this is the un-touched photo. Thank you for the advice, I think I'm going to continue playing with Photoshop/DxO-5. I just wish I had a different lens kit with me but overall it didn't turn out to bad.
    [​IMG]

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Ooh! The unaltered version is even better! Great shot! :) I know I say this in every thread and perhaps my brain is off... but: is the horizon straight?
    The person in the foreground really makes the shot if you ask me.

6. HellRazor

Interestingly enough the camera is on a tri-pod (as level as possible on the side of the mountain). I had no one else with me, so I set the camera on a timer with the settings I wanted, focused the "area" I wanted, and ran and sat in front of it. My biggest issue with the un-edited version is there is just to much sky, but perhaps thats just me?

7. Matticus

Matticus ...

Now I am not much of a photographer, but I know what I like.

I really like your photo, and I definatly do not think there is too much sky, I think because of the gradient of colours it isnt just blank spaces, it still adds to the photo.

8. HellRazor

Edited JUST for you Da Dego! Now it really looks like a Nuke just went off :duh:
    [​IMG]

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have to say out of the two it's the first one I prefer, though I do like both.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm thinking the same as Yoda, both are good, but 1st is muchos better imo.

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Wow...I wasn't expecting the pre-processed version to be...THAT. Play with the levels a touch, maybe enhance the saturation in the blue spectrum a hair. Sharpen edges. Done.

This is a gorgeous picture in and of itself. Leave the color filters alone, in my opinion. ;) Though I do see why the halo exists now. ;) You get a cookie if you can edit it to not have that and still do your color filters.

Tags: