1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Problem, Fans Full Speed,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxxbasher, 20 Nov 2007.

1. maxxbasher

maxxbasher What's a Dremel?

Almost 2 years ago i made the mistake of buying an HP media center PC,yes i know i should have built my own but at the time i was loosing interest in PCs so just bought one complete.

Anyway, the problem i have is when i run certain programmes (Spy Bot is the most recent example) my fans sound as if they are running at full speed.I'm almost certain that it never did this when new, any ideas on why this is happening and is it leading to a more severe problem. Oh and BTW, I've just cleaned the whole PC as the fans and vents were pretty dusty but unfortunately it's still the same. Any Ideas.:sigh:

2. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

It sounds like the old thermal tape is all dried up and your computer is overheating. Remove the CPU heatsink and clean the bottom surface in addition to the CPU with rubbing alcohol. A Q-tip or cotton ball works well. Apply a new thin layer of thermal paste to the CPU, reattach the heatsink and see if the fans calms down. Run the computer idle for a couple hours after reapplying the thermal paste so it can cure.

3. maxxbasher

Ok, just repalced the thermal paste and it's still doing it, anymore ideas.

4. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Could it be that the fan is just old and noisy now? I mean mine run at the same speed it always did, however its incredibly loud now

5. maxxbasher

No, right now it is super silent, but as soon as i run scanning software or view large pictures that take a little time to load the fans kick in big time.