1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Possible psu issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 27 Jun 2016.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I recently replaced my ageing psu with an EVGA G2 650W modular PSU.

All seemed fine until today.

I regularly put my pc into sleep during the day and this was one of the contributing factors to replacing my old psu as my pc would randomly wake up with seemingly no input so I decided it might be the psu. So I replaced it as it was getting long in the tooth anyway.

So when I tried to wake my pc from sleep today I got a loud pop in my speakers, and then the pc just died, I then hit the power button to boot it as if from cold and everything whirred into life for about 5 seconds and then again died, a second press of the button and lift off, albeit having to respond to the windows didn't shut down properly system.

Is this a duff psu, maybe my P67 sabretooth is on the way out or is it just a setting I need to change.

Any ideas?

A little update, both times waking from sleep was initiated by a press of my keyboard but I just did it from my mouse with no issues.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Did it today waking it with the mouse.

No one got any ideas.

3. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

considering you have now had 2 diffrent PSUs in the machine i would say your issue lies with the motherboard

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Quite possibly but its two different results with two different psu's which doesn't make much sense.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Crappy, silly question dude but what mobo is it? I built a PC recently that would wake by the mouse (it did my head in). Let me know the mobo and I'll have a look as I may have the fix ;).

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It's in the first post mate :lol:

Asus P67 Sabertooth.

7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Blame my old age, will have a look for you now babe see if it's the same fix <3

Edit - Right, there isn't one on your mobo but on the one I had there was a jumper to turn off wake from usb (keyboard & mouse) as the option wasn't in the bios.

Silly question, you've disabled the "power on by" options in the bios right? I've had it in the past where despite it saying "power on by ps2" it's still powered on by the usb kb. Worth trying?

Last edited: 30 Jun 2016
  8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I haven't disabled them no but I actually want to be able to power on by my mouse as its how I have always done it

Since changing the psu I no longer get random wake events.

With the new psu it wont wake at all, leds light, fans whirl, SSD activity then pop everything shuts off instantly and then takes 2 boots to start again.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've done some research and there are suggestions that disabling Internal PLL voltage can fix the issue.

I have tried it and it did come out of sleep the one time I have tried.

Any harm in leaving this disabled?

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Decided to put a spare psu in purely for tests purposes.

A cooler master 600w unit i bought as an emergency spare, it cant have more than 30 hours on it.

Works perfectly, goes into sleep properly, comes out of sleep properly, doesnt require 2 presses of the power button to fire up the pc from cold.

Looks like its the psu and not the motherboard as suggested here or the os as blamed by evga (not impressed by their customer service by the way).

11. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

Is the PC overclocked? I had similar issues when an old overclock was becoming unstable. Reduced the overclock by 100MHz and the problem went away.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Good suggestion but no it's never been overclocked.