1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors (Possibly a project log...)My '89 mini

Discussion in 'General' started by Stickeh, 8 Jul 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

haha, james that car already has a chacter! Maybe the midas disappear because they all ripped thier fuel pipes and burn't to death! Oh james forgot to mention the midas trying to commit sucide! Lol!

Yeah im jealous, perfect summer time bomber, especial if you pop the rear window out, maybe you can explain with a pic. Its virtually a convertable!

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Minor point, some retard fit a sub standard fuel pipe that was 1; too short and 2; routed incorrectly.
    So much so it passed beneath the carb heat shield, between the car body, engine rocks, heat shield cuts pipe, pipe spits fuel at exhaust....

Just evaporates away, nothing to worry about.

Fixed with a spare pipe from the other shell we purchased :D

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Bloody hell. Have you double-checked the brakes and stuff too? Sounds more like a deathtrap. :D

4. Stickeh

Live life on the edge mate, my mini had a cracking rubber front brake line ;)

Would just make things more interesting!

5. Stickeh

A final update and post to this thread, pictures speak a thousand words;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mvagusta likes this.
  6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

pwease explainz :confused:

7. Stickeh

Engine died a horrible death, i've since stripped it out, sold the interior and wheels on ebay, taken the engine to be rebuilt for my kit car, and sold the shell as seen in the pictures to a friend of a friend.
    Can't run two cars unfortunately :(

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not doing a rebuild yourself then? Did it need reboring and skimming after its death?

Shame you had to break it like that, at least it isn't scrapped though! How's the kit? Been wondering what happened to you and your mini-related fetish. :p

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

He's still got the fetish. It's just more angular now. :)

10. Stickeh

Rebuilding the mini? No unfortunately, i'd have liked too, but what i have planned for a mini i would want to start from the ground up, looking at my car like this its almost at that point...but i think its something to come back to later on.

The engine had a slight knocking and a BIG oil pressure warning, in that it would drop off ridiculously low when hot (as proved by an oil pressure gauge), with the engine dismantled we could see on the crankshaft bearings, the oil galleries were pretty non existent and worn flat.

As for whats being done...well....rebore +60, 1275>1330, new reground crank, new bearings and cam bearings, new pistons of course, the head was also never ported, though had big valves, bronze guides and double springs so that's being done also.

Strap in my trackday cam, my recon box, and an ultralite flywheel i've just purchased, and it should be a little more....fun, for the midas that is :D

As for the kit, well it seems to overheat, the exhaust has seen better days lots of patches and blowing...but the manifold on the mini wasn't more than 10months old and a stainless centre pipe and the backbox...well something special there planned ;)

As well as overheating, the oil light came on (hey ive seen this before...) and about a month ago it started to mis-fire, an easy enough timing issue, but i took the opportunity for while its off the road to strip the mini, build the engine i was intending and put it into the midas.

Just started stripping the kit's engine down to be pulled and we've had some interesting developments, but i think i ought to start a new thread for that!

More angular and less rust!

Tbh, i'm looking at getting another mini, but it's quite possibly going to be a mini minus, a fibreglass shelled mini with a 2 or 4" (cant remember correctly) body chop and no seams.

Tags: