Storage Post-clone issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by markbrett64, 9 Sep 2010.

1. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

I recently changed the HDD in one of my PC's, just upgraded it from a WD 640Gb to Spinpoint F3 1TB.

Rather than do a fresh install, I used Clonezilla. This worked fine and the PC rebooted and I carried on using it.

However the next time I powered it up, it did not boot into Windows. I just got a black screen with a white cursor. I realised I had forgotten to reset the boot priority after cloning, so I booted into the BIOS to reset this.

However, the new HDD does not show as one of the available devices. I can see it in the list of SATA devices in the config display in the BIOS, but cannot set it as the primary boot device.

I checked all the connections and even moved the cable to the SATA 1 connector on the motherboard. I removed a flash drive plugged into one of the USB ports as it was showing as an available boot device. When I powered on again, it booted into Windows, but does still not show as a device in the boot priority list?

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

sometimes the priority boot list has a seperate menu for HDD.

you may need to change HDD order first then change boot order

3. markbrett64

@adam

you mean change the connection order? the original HDD drive has been removed from the system.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If it's Vista or 7, try performing a boot repair through the troubleshooting part on the install disc.

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

did you clone the boot partition ?

window 7 has a boot partition of 100mb which contains all the boot information in order for win 7 to start correctly.

EDIT - as above as this will fix the issue if you failed to clone the boot partition

Last edited: 9 Sep 2010
  6. markbrett64

Yes I cloned the boot partition. It did boot correctly after the cloning, it was on second startup that this occurred.

Today it booted correctly, even though I still can't see the new HDD in the priority list....