1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Post your aquarium

Discussion in 'General' started by KayinBlack, 24 Feb 2010.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

how big is the tank cerberus? mines 125l and i have two tubes which i think add upto 50W

i think as a general rule 2W per gallon is used. so my tank is probably just about right.

yours looks like it might be the same size as mine id say you dont have enough light. you could add an extra tube, somehow lol

come to think of it Chlorophyll is green? which would explain your plants going yellow i guess

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just got home and I've measured the tank.

Its 100 litres. Which is about 21 gallons. at 2W per gallon I 'should' have 42W, and only have 25W.

I've said all along to my dad that I didn't think there was enough light. I even made a bodged reflector out of some kitchen foil stuck to the case above the light, which helped a little bit.

I don't think its possible for me to add another light, which is really annoying.
    Can you get tubes which have a higher wattage than 25?

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

i think you can get 54W bulbs. which maybe a touch high but i dont think itd do any damage at all

i dont know if yours are T5 or T8 or what length they are so i cant really check for you

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

We've got a 742mm 25W T8 tube.

Whats the difference between T5 and T8?

I've seen a 35W 742mm T5 on the net for a reasonable amount.

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Main 200l aquarium
    3 Corydoras Paleatus;
    2 Corydoras Aeneus;
    2 Crossocheilus siamensis;
    2 Gyrinocheilus aymonieri;
    A lot of Ancistrus dolichopterus;
    Even more Poecilia reticulata;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Secondary ~50l aquarium:
    A lot of Marmorkrebs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

theyre just fitment sizes afaik. and t5 is newer than t8 or saomething

24 to 35 isnt a huge jump but it might do the job yeh

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I was looking at hoods and lighting setups last night.

Wondering if I could build my own lid and get one of the double tube setups in it.
    Or I'll probably go down to the fish shops and see if I can get a new hood.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

you could prob build one out of mdf or something easily enough. but id try the pet shop first

9. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Nice tanks guys. :)

I have a love/hate relationship with fish tanks. I had a 55 gallon tank for a number of years, but the upkeep was a pain. Yet I love them.... *sigh* I want to eventually get back into it and do a saltwater tank, those tropicals are just awesome.

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Thats the problem I have.

I love looking at them, and having a really nice tank, but the maintenance is a pain and when it all gets taken over by silk weed, its even more of a pain.

I think I might make an effort to get my tank looking good again.

11. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

my tank takes very little maintance. once every 3/4 weeks i do a water change and a bit of a clean only really takes half an hour or an hour but thats just my tank

im at the stage where i want a second tank lol so no sign of me getting sick of it yet

i was looking into a smallish marine tank but the initiall investment put me off abit. between live rock and the cost of the fish themselves ill leave it till someother time

Last edited: 26 Feb 2010
  12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

We've got another two tanks in storage.

One that my dad had in his office at work, which is sat in the shed.
    And a smaller one thats up in the loft thats never been used, but it needs a lid.
    Thinking of getting the smaller tank down (think its a 2ft) and setting that up, and just getting a good eco-system going, no fish for a while, get the plants growing and water setup nicely, then add a few fish (ones that won't eat the plants), probably a big shoal of tetras.

13. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

The bigger the tank the easier it will be to maintain decent water quality, greater water volume helps to stabilise things. Also look into fish-less cycling, cycling with fish is considered cruel now a days and damages the health of your fish.

14. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Sends us some pics of your current hood we may be able to suggest some modifications you could make.

15. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

he already has a mature tank, all hed have to do is put the media in the old tank for a days or so and move it to the new one and itd be close to cycled as the bacteria would be on the media

id like to do a tank with just a school of cardinals in soft water but id be too tempted to put a few others in. it would look great though. if i do a discus tank that im thinking of at the moment id def put a school of cardinals in it

16. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

Mines a complete mess at the moment as I have just had to hack a load of plants back (I have the opposite problem to many on here in that I can grow plants in mine, they just don't want to do what I want them to do). It's been neglected recently and is showing it, I will post pics once i've had a spring clean.

17. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm pretty sure my current lid can't be modified. I'll get some pics though just in case.

Its a plastic one, with an all in one style light box screwed onto the top, with a piece of perspex underneath the light tube area. I need to replace the perspex really as its all cracked and not very clear. That would probably help a bit on its own.

My dad took some of the weed out the other day, and did a 15% water change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lid looks awful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Feb 2010
  18. ChriX

ChriX ^

Does Dropbox allow direct linking? Anyway, a quick snap of my desk ornament if so. Also have a 100 ish L freshwater.

[​IMG]

19. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh from the first pic it looked like itd only take one tube. think a new hood or make one wud be your only options for two tubes.

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Would an MDF hood really work?

Wouldn't the wood get damp and then split up into layers or just go all crap due to the humidity?