1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Post your ATI questions here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WilHarris, 30 Oct 2003.

1. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

nix drivers

I want to know about drivers for linux and freeBSD as well. So far the only reason i've been sticking to nVid over ATi is because of the lack of *nix drivers avalible, if they can say when or even if they will have drivers out for these operating systems the next card i'd buy would be ATi.

2. Vince

Vince What's a Dremel?

ATI and Freeview

When are ATI going to make an All In Wonder card with a built in freeview receiver? Its a card crying out to be made!! Is there one in development? Hope so !!

3. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

why are we all asking questions? is someone from ati coming to answer them? when?

4. [KT] Mike

[KT] Mike What's a Dremel?

Sticky at the top...

5. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Zap modular GFX cards are implossible due to varying pin counts on chips and the huge probles already encountered designing PCBs for cards they know will be running at a set speed. Also it is virtually impossible to upgrade the ram effectivly while keeping it on the same board and if you made another board for it you run into problems including taking up another slot and other electrical problems. Also it is another thing to go wrong.

My Question is:
    will you give me a Radeon9800XT and some stock options?

Seriously:
    what do you think about the current state of the graphics industry and what do you think ATi's direction will be for the next five to ten years?

6. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Ok, I'm personaly an nVidia fan (although not as of late :grr: ), but I do have a few questions anyway:

Are there any plans to improve the ATI drivers/MMC as far as stability goes? One of the things I like best about my nVidia card is the fact that it rarely has any driver related issues, where my ATi TV capture card is as buggy as I'll get out, and the MMC software quite frankly sucks and crashes often.

I have heard rumor of another compeditor entering the arena, XGI. Are they in anyway going to affect your sales/marketing? It appears that they are stepping up to fill that 3rd place that Matrox is leaving behind.

7. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

YEAH THERE SHOULD DEF BE A QUESTION ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT XGI OR SOMETHING AS THAT SEEMS LIKE IT'S GONNA BE SOMETHING BIG. (ah soz for the caps) :yawn: :waah:

8. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

I disagree. It would be next to impossible with current designs, but not with chips specifically designed to be that way. For proof, just look at CPUs, which GPUs are basically a specialized form of.

MoJo

9. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

But why waste presious design time modifying the chip and sacrificign performance for to get a socketed design. if a CPU was not socketed it coudl go a damn sight faster

10. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

On what do you base that assumption? Some Macs used to come with socketed CPUs, but it was done for cost reasons and had nothing to do with improving performance.

Sure, the socket introduces another electrical connection that slightly degrades the signals and does lower the limit for the theoretical maximum speed they can switch at. However, if ask any CPU designers, I'm sure they will tell you factors like heat output and transistor size are more of a problem than the chip socket.

MoJo

11. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

All Macs use socketed chips I think. Except maybe the notebooks.

12. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

My Questions:

Will we be seeing 256mb versions of the All In Wonder 9800/9800XT?

and

What is ATI planning to do in the future with regard to the growing cooling and space issues? Will ati go for .13u Manufacturing?

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

diskreet, the RV350 (9600 series) is 0.13 micron afaik :)

14. [KT] Mike

[KT] Mike What's a Dremel?

Yep it is, although it bugs me as to why the 9800 XT wasnt manufactured on the same process :confused: :confused:

15. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

Oops, meant "Will ATI go for smaller a Manufacturing Process than .13u?"
    Just the way i started to word it my mind slipped a bit

16. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Gimmie...

I have a question:

Does ATI have any vacancies for graduate programmers in the UK? Will work for peanuts! Please? :thumb:

Interested? Mail me at 'wire_frame200' ('at') 'Hotmail' (dot) 'Com'

Last edited: 3 Nov 2003
  17. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

Re: Gimmie...

Me too :(

After years of lies about opening doors, earning 50% more, plentiful jobs, there are many of us with a keen interest in graphics and a willingness to learn (and work for peanuts) who would love to work for a company like ATi. Or any IT firm that needs programmers, for that matter.

Tell you what, I'll work for free for a month, no strings attached, just to see if you like me and my work. Email me for OpenGL samples.

Sorry to Bit-Tech for the blatant job hunting :waah:

MoJo

PS. Giza job

18. ManStrike

ManStrike What's a Dremel?

Any change of introducing the trade-up program into Europe for your graphics cards

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They have a P4 lisence. The RS300 with Radeon 9000pro/9200 (iirc) graphics and IX150 (please dont quote me on those specs, its R-something and I-something-150) will be out in Q403 or Q104. They arent silly enough to go head to head with nvidia for sktA/754.

MAC chips are FABed/made by IBM or Motorola iirc, they all use socket types. I think i read somewhere this was the case. Or i could be barking up the wrong tree.

My Questions:

Will we ever see SLI capable graphics cards (like voodoo 2)with PCI-E?

or

Any hint of your plans of what the R410 (is it 400/410? since R350 is 9800 pro) will be capable of?

or

Where do you see the graphics card market going in the next 2/5/10 years?

or

What happens when the graphics card design gets so complex noone can afford to buy your cards anymore?

20. batsman

batsman the quiet one

why do all other components stay in a similar range price wise but graphics card's always seem to increase in price

eg processors the average price stays the same but you get a faster processor
    same with hard drives, cd r/w, mobo's, etc

Tags: