1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Power down, Work this one out...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madness_3d, 17 Aug 2009.

1. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

The problem is that the machine switches itself off.

This only started when I changed motherboard from Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 to Asus Crosshair II Formula
    The power stays to the board as the LED's onboard remain lit
    also the fans connected to the PSU's fan headers (it leaves them running after it switches off for some time) remain spinning. (have not checked they actually switch off eventually)

This lock appears degrading. Once I was able to play mirrors edge for hours, then after a few successive locks the machine wont get past windows boot without locking It has also locked in the BIOS. This can be slowly rectified by either switching the PSU switch to off, or leaving the PSU some time. It will lock again soon after if exposed to high load (F@H) Temps are all fine

I have changed.
    - Disconnected all perepherals and additional system components
    - CPU (Below to an Athlon II X2 245. caused less frequent locks (test not thorough)
    - Ram ( 4gb ocz 1066 reaper to single 2gb OCZ value 800. No change)
    - different coolers & brackets (testing stress on the motherboard
    - RMA'd the motherboard recieved a brand new one replacment (no change)
    - removed the GPU and ran off integrated (this meant the machine would 3/4 times boot into windows but lock after 5 - 10 seconds if subjected to Prime95 Blend)
    None of the above fixed the problem

I have also.
    - Run the Machine Outside of the case removing the ground between the Case and the PSU. This Fixed the problem.
    - tried applying tape into the motherbaord tray to ensure nothing behind the motherboard was shorting against the case (no effect)
    -Tried a Generic 450w psu, screwed into the case, (int gfx) Blended for 1hr 15 no lock

I now intend to
    - Screw my PSU into another machine (with the old GA-M57SLI-S4) and see if it runs properly.
    - Attempt to apply tape across the back of the case and screw holes where the PSU bolts into the case. I am worried that running the Machine without the case grounded properly may cause a problem.

It sounds like either the PSU is faulty,
    Incompatible with my Motherboard for some analogue reason,
    Or that there is a short of some kind but I have been unable to identify where such a short could occur. I eventually Jigsawed out the back of the motherboard tray which made no effect.

Can anyone else give me some ideas for things to try, or with some explanation lay the blame on a component. Thing Is I feel Wary to RAM the PSU because they may not be able to replicate the problem. I then get hit with a £25 testing fee and am landed with the same problem. I have already sent back the motherboard and the RMA only went through because I accidentally screwed it into the case (a stand-off fell out) and blew it up. I've already had to wait 6 weeks for a new board. I'm more scared that I'm going to buy a new 750w Corsair Modular PSU and it will do the same thing

2. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

it sounds like a psu problem to me, as for why i dont know though, maybe a short somewhere within the psu?
    other than the things you intend to do i dont know what else you can try, except maybe try it in a different case if you have one spare?
    if you rma the psu let them know what you have tried and tell them to try it inside a case because outside it was fine but inside the case it was causing problems. that should help them replicate the problem.

3. Madness_3d

Have just done something I really didn't want to do...
    Completely disassembled Two computers.

I tried my BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 650w in with my second machine (currently running off a Hiper 425w) It has an Athlon 6000+, Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4, 2GB DDR2 800, XFX 8800GTS 320
    It Didn't Lock At all.
    I then Did the unthinkable...
    I removed everything from the other case.
    Installed my motherboard INTO ANOTHER CASE, with the same cooler and ram.
    Plugged in a different Supreme FX II Soundcard (they sent a second back after the RMA)
    Used a DIFFERENT Modular cable for the CPU power.
    DID NOT connect any front panel or switches.
    Connected power ONLY to Motherboard, Gfx Card and Hard Drive.

And Lo And Behold, Full Load (Prime95+RTHDRIBL)
    The machine switched itself off in exactly the same fashion.

This rules out the case.
    Rules out the modular cables
    Rules out any expansion cards
    Rules out Any foul play from the front panel.

I have also ruled out...
    The Graphics Card
    The CPU
    The RAM
    The Peripherals & CD-Drive
    The Cooler
    The Motherboard
    The PSU (by itself)

I therefore have to surmise that the problem (given that the original fault was created by combining the PSU with the ASUS board, and removed by Pairing it back with the Gigabyte)

Is that My BeQuiet! + Any Asus Crosshair II Formula, with any combination of other components causes the machine to Power itself off when screwed into a case.

My next problem is this.
    I bought the PSU on the 10th of July 2008. ie, its One year, One month old...
    BeQuiet's Website tells me that the PSU has a 36month Warranty
    However I'll bet that after 12months that becomes Manufacturer Warranty, not Retailer Warranty. I'd appreciate if anyone else can be verify this.

Either way i'm gonna call up scan tommorow, ask for the Technical department, Explain at length the problem (to win sympathy), explain that this problem occured within the 12 month period (the mobo RMA was 6 Weeks) And Hope to High Hell that I can get a replacment. Im tempted to ask if I can pay to change to a 750w Just to be sure. but tbh any replacment is good.

If not Im going to buy a new Corsair 750/850w Modular Power Supply, in the hope that I can get something which will work with my otherwise nice setup :)

4. Madness_3d

And i've just rebuilt my second machine too see almost 60C temps with the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro spinning at 1900+ RPM... Needs to redo the TIM me thinks (2 in the morning now)...

5. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

If they refuse your RMA, try a Seasonic or Corsair. They are the most reliable PSU brands out there.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

did you try a different sata cable? it could be that simple- ide cables were notorious for this, but it could happen with sata too.. would explain why when you had it out- the cable was probably straitened and fixed the short, inside the case it's twisted.. doesn't sound like a ps problem if you can go hours on mirrors edge

7. Madness_3d

that is a very good point, I'll have a look at the hdd one, buy I reckon I can eliminate it because the machine works with a different power supply, with the same sata leads

8. Madness_3d

Just Ordered a Corsair 850HX Will see if it Works :thumb: