1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Powering multiple devices neatly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Canon, 16 Jan 2024.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

So I'm adding a few things to this, internally.

[​IMG]

Everything that I'm adding is powered or can be powered over USB, the unit itself is powered with an external connector direct to mains (unless using the batteries).

It's very tightly packed inside as you can imagine and really not confident pulling connections and soldering given the lack of access and general age related mess going on (and my lack of ability) :miffed:

The best option I've been able to conjure up so far is to run a usb charging bank from inside, same length as the power lead and have it plugged into the mains also, I didn't really want to be using two power sockets at once but I've drawn a creative blank, any and all suggestions welcome.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Your pic is broken.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You should be able to make an internal bridge off the internal a/c connection. It's not like the usb hub is enough extra power draw to melt the power cord.
    -Please remember that CRT capacitors can kill. We have pass this old bit of knowledge on to the next generation that have only jammed a screwdriver into an IPhone.

Yaka and IanW like this.
  4. Canon

Canon Reformed

Forgive the ignorance, something like a junction box that the USB could run off, in-line with the ac power already existing?

The CRT is part of my hesitation to be prodding around any more than needs be, the horror stories are very much ingrained. :lol:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

More like a soldered splice. It depends on how the unit was put together. If it has a removable plug there should be some lead points on the inside of the plastic connector. if not the power cord probably runs straight to a transformer.
    The real problem is if this is an 80's unit, it's probably packed solid with a rats nest of wires.