1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Powering up issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by creative, 17 Sep 2015.

1. creative

creative 500rwhp

Hi guys.

Got a small issue with the rig.

Bought myself a Coolermaster V1000 power supply to see if its a power issue when in SLI as per my other thread. Powered the rig down, discharged everything and swapped the units over.

Upon switching on I got nothing.. at all. no spinning disc, fans, anything.

In a nutshell I have stripped everything back and only running the necessities. swapped the ram around etc and these are now the symptoms on BOTH power supplies.

I have plugged in from the power supply:
    24pin mobo
    8 pin CPU
    1 x sata connector to power the fans on the AIO
    1 6 pin GFX card on slot 1 of the PCIe

The rig boots to Bios. Keyboard and mouse work and all is good. ( I have reset Cmos as well to remove OC's etc)

I connect 1 more sata connector and connect it to 1 HDD (either ssd or normal), NO sata cable at this point, I just want to spin the drive up. I turn the power on, press the button and it will not power up... at all. Nothing works, fans, hdd, beeps.. nothing. I have the light on on the gfx card to show its getting power but the power button does nothing.

I have tried removing the GFX card and using the onboard gfx and found the same issues except booting to bios and the screen is all over the place. many artifacts, text is huge and just lots of randomness!

I am at a lost at the moment as this happens on both power supplies, ram sticks removed and swapped. All drives removed, GFX cards removed, cmos cleared.

Is this a dead board or a possible cpu issue? I dont have another cpu to try nor another board.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2015
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone What's a Dremel?

First thing to try always if you haven't already is to remove everything from the case and run it naked with the bare minimum (mobo, cpu, ram) on a cardboard box and work up from there, you may have disturbed something and caused a short somewhere. Since you have issues with the on-board graphics might be worth trying a different cable, different port and/or different monitor. Also might be worth trying a different power outlet somewhere else in your house just to cover all bases! My laptop's trackpad goes haywire if I use a certain wall socket in my room. It does sound very strange though and not something I've encountered before

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

thats the next plan.

Moved it into the office and will be removing everything from the case and using different cables in here. Computers frustrate me sometimes!

:D

4. creative

creative 500rwhp

found the issue.

A non CoolerMaster 5 pin sata cable was in amongst the cables I got with it. This cable was causing the supply to trip and go into protection.

mental note, always check the cables are wired the same before you turn it on as I think it killed my WD 3tb drive... the one with all my films/music/software on... fml! If anyone has a WD green 3tb logic board with XTBEF5 502T on it... please get in touch! :D

The drive spins when I use another but different logic board but isnt recognised, as I expected.... but it spins!

Edit: Reading up it seems that HDD have tvs diodes which fail when shorted rendering the drive unresponsive. Remove these diodes and you can spin them back up again.... They are like an E fuse, if you like... hmm, time to break the multi meter out!

Last edited: 22 Sep 2015