1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Pre overclocked systems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamin151, 14 Feb 2010.

1. yamin151

yamin151 It all started with the 464!!!

Hi,

Very new to this PC building thing, but very excited at the prospect. I was wondering if it would be wise to buy one of the pre overclocked bundles for sale out there. I really am not ready to do this myself, hopefully I will be one day. I have seen a bundle such as this one...

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7787&product=Intel+i5+650+@+4.32GHz+-+Gigabyte+GA-H55-UD3H+-+4GB+DDR3+1600MHz+Memory+Overclocked+Bundle+BU018OC

.... I appreciate I may be paying a premium for this, but costs aside is it worth it? Presumably I would need to make sure I was able to keep it all cool enough.

Any advice would be much appreciated

J

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, if you honestly don't mind paying for something that's free, then i don't see why not. Go ahead.

But you said you're hoping to learn how to overclock. Then why don't you do it now?

3. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

i personally wouldn't pay the premium for such a thing.
    i would rather the money and do it myself.
    if you fry a board... replace it.
    with the money saved by not paying for pre-overclocked.
    and you would be learning how to overclock in the process.
    sort of a win-win in my opinion.

i say not worth it.
    save the money.
    buy the parts separately.
    overclock yourself.
    when the additional 'power' is needed.

4. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Also what the guys said above , when you buy pre-overclocked hardware there is normally small print, for instance, alot of company`s will only leave a warranty on a product if you don`t do the following add extra ram and or update the bios ? , believe me if you take a little time to read the building / overclocking parts of these forums there isn`t much you can do wrong.

Over clocking is very simple as long as you A. Don`t rush it and B. take it step by step (the very first time) after all there`s not much point in getting into overclocking if you don`t try and understand things like voltages / timings / etc and the actual inards of a computer.

But may i ask, being as you said you are "very new to this pc building thing" why do want to A: overclock so early in your pc building life and B: waste money buying pre-overclocked hardware that if you learnt the whole concept of knowing a pc inside and out would be able to accomplish that oc if not even more with a little patience.

5. yamin151

yamin151 It all started with the 464!!!

thanks

Thank you for your advice. Overclocking is not a priority as this is my first build as you say. I think I will have to do a lot more reading. With limited funds it is not an option just to replace a board if I fry it. I need to read read read......some of the techno speak around overclocking I find a little hard to understand.

Thank you all anyway for your valuable input.