1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Printer spooler offline and will not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LightingBird, 6 Mar 2009.

1. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

Hmm well I've tried to turn it on in services but I get an error. So I've tried performing a disc clean and ran sfc /scannow. It still will not start. Any ideas?

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

What error do you get?

If the error mentions dependencies then make sure any of the services it relies on are started.

If it says something along the lines of "The specified module could not be found" then it can mean there's a problem with the DLL of the service, either that it's missing or corrupt.

A way to find out if the system is having trouble loading the DLL into the Service Host is to use FileMon:

Download and run FileMon.
    Pause FileMon at first, and set its filter to only return errors mentioning svchost.
    Start Filemon's monitoring again right before you attempt to start the spooler service, then pause Filemon after the error.
    Check the error list in Filemon and it should show you if there's a file system access problem with the service.
    If so, it's likely that the DLL is missing, corrupted or otherwise unusable.

Your best bet in that case is to replace the problematic DLL with a copy from another system.
    If you copy the DLL from another system, it's best to copy it from a system with the same Service Pack.