1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Printer Woes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by The RAM, 1 Oct 2011.

1. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Hey all,

I've been trying to get a printer I've been lent to work but so far haven't succeeded. It's a Dell AIO 810 and the OS is W7 Ultimate. It's detected properly, it shows up in the device list, I can access the printer settings etc... but when I try to print a document, absolutely nothing happens. No lights blink, no messages, no document in the queue... :wallbash:

Any help getting it sorted would be appreciated, as it's a useful thing to have working properly when starting out at Uni!

Thanks! :)

2. JohnSheridan

JohnSheridan What's a Dremel?

Is the local print spooler working under services on your computer?

Go to <Start> in the blank box type services.msc <enter>
    Scroll down the list until you get to Print Spooler - it should say "Started" and "Automatic" - If not change it so it is by right-clicking and properties.

If it already says "started" then it might be worth right-clicking on it and picking "restart"

3. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Thanks for the swift response. It was already started, I turned the printer on, restarted the spooler and tried to print something from Foxit and Open Office. Nothing... :(

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

stupid question: did you select the right printer in the open office print menu? I had a similar problem once because I was trying to print with my old (not connected anymore) printer.

5. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Hah! Yep. Although I can look stupid I used to work as an IT Tech in a school, though I hated printers as they always kept on breaking! So thankfully I haven't made that mistake. :)

(ps. Alpaca, I just noticed your location. Was in Leuven recently. Really nice place! Fantastic shop that does roast chickens! Didn't quite understand the bug on the needle though. :) )

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

yeah, printers are no friend of mine too, that's why i bought an ebook :)

The bug is ART:hip:. By a rather famous belgian artist, Jan Fabre. He has a few very nice, poetic, works (google 'searching for utopia' or 'de man die de wolken meet' (the man who measures the clouds)). He also has some that are a bit strange: he decorated the ceiling of a part of the royal palace with beetle-shells (It looks the part, however, google 'heaven of delight').

The RAM likes this.
  7. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Aye, but I'm picky about my art! That ceiling does look pretty amazing too! I'll have a closer look later. (+rep!)

Back to topic though, anyone any idea's about my poor printer? :)

8. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

(sorry to hijack your thread)

I guess you went trough the whole range of usual tests: reinstalling the printer, trying the printer on another computer, trying another printer on your computer, calling dell, ...

If so, i'm out of ideas. Good luck

9. jossi007

jossi007 What's a Dremel?

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I know this isn't at all helpful, but I'd like to say that I've never met a printer that was averse to being a pain in the ass :)

11. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Thanks for all the help guys and sorry for the quietness. Managed to fix it in the end by re-installing it! Props to you all! :)