1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other "problem" with CNC machine. Just a simple one I reckon.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 2 Feb 2024.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK so today I figured out an issue with my CNC machine I did not know it had.

I bought a new stepper motor assembly that is capable of 20k RPM. This was to replace the one that does around 9000. Easy to replace I gave it a go. First time machining "nylon" sheet and yeah, didn't go well.

[​IMG]

I was told to reduce the spindle motor speed. Problem is? I can't. It doesn't matter what speed I tell Easel to run the motor at, it always runs full pelt.

I switched it back to the original motor, but after sending it between 1000 and 10000 RPM it always ran at the full speed.

So, I am beginning to think it could be the very basic nature of the machine itself. IE, there is no speed control involved it is either "on" or "off".

The motor is a 24v unit. What I am thinking is to separate it from the control board (IE run it from its own PSU) and then get something to control the motor speed. But I am a little confused.

See, this thing for example.

[​IMG]

Says it is a motor controller, 9-50v 20 amp etc etc. It has two sets of connectors, power in and power out. But, it mentions PWM which is what has me confused.

So, rather dumb question possibly. If I feed it 24v and connect my spindle motor will the knob allow me to slow it down?

Thanke.

2. Vault-Tec

Found the answer. I was correct. The machine does not have a speed controller on the control board.

Good thing this happened, as apparently feeding the new motor from it could have made it go bang (the control board, it doesn't output enough amperage).

Will be using Byrons PSU with the above now for the motor only.

Yaka and adidan like this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

This is always most satisfying.

Yaka likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Aye the “fix” was only 9 quid too. Well, thanks to Byron already sending me a nice new 24v PSU.

You power higher powered motors separately from the unit’s PSU that controls the stepper motors and controller.

Makes for a bulkier setup but is capable of machining alu so yeah big upgrade tbh.

5. Vault-Tec

OK so to sum up. Yup, 100% I needed a controller. I watched a lot of vids in bed last night and they all confirmed it. I then saw this kit on Amazon earlier.

[​IMG]

Which is what I have. Like, that PSU there is identical to the one Byron sent me, only it has a pot there (they wear out pretty quick if you rely on using them all the time) instead of a controller knob. So I just got this one for £9.

[​IMG]

Hilariously the "ultimate" upgrade for these machines is literally to bolt on a Makita router head.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I've seen your mill. A router might make it tip over. :lol:
    I can vouch for the Makita, although they are loud. I run mine at "3" with a 11 IPM feed rate for plexi. It would be nice to be able to try the units first. Mine is off balance. That's where a lot of the noise is from.

7. Vault-Tec

My mill is now a 3040. So it would not tip over lol.