1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Upgraded Computer...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dark_Blender, 29 Sep 2003.

1. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

First of all, I dunno if this should go in hardware or software because it sorta deals with both.

Now the problem Im having is I just changed my mobo and processor.

At first it was givign the me single RAM beep which was fixed when I switched the RAM modules and slots.

So now it starts up and I get into the BIOS and set it up and didnt do too much and restarted. Now when it starts up itll either say that my processor is an athlon 1100 or a Barton 3200 when its actually an XP 2500.

This is too bad because itll still get past this but when it goes into booting it says that one of the system files is messed up and I need to repair the file by pressing "r" when I startup fromt eh system disc. So I put the windows XP prof disc in and have it boot from CD. Now when I do the ASR (automated system recovery) it requires a normal repair floppy which i dont have. So if I skip that I get something saying it cannot continue error code 14 or something like that. Then I boot from the Windows without doing anything, as to install the system, and it gets an error saying that it cannot continue error code 7 or something like that.

Im stuck and dunno where to go now...

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I am guessing that you configured the bios to see the cpu as a 3200. If so try manually setting the speed of the cpu if the bios wont give you the option. You need to give it a FSB of 166 and an 11x multiplyer for stock speeds.

Try that and let us know.

3. Dark_Blender

Yeah I checked that out. When I see memory frequency 200 = xp 3200+, 100 = athlon 1100, and 166 = xp 2500+. Now I got that in control and I ran killdisk to clear out my main HDD to reinstall windows XP. The problem now is when it autostarts from the CD ROM it goes into setup but soon afterI get it "cannot continue error code 14." Im pretty much stuck and in dire need of getting my puter up and running!

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

In another thread concerning PC2100 you said that you were having similar troubles here. You hadn't mentioned this before, but it's plain to see now what the problem is, if you are indeed running that RAM. The Barton runs at an FSB of 166MHz by default. Your RAM runs at an FSB of 133MHz by default, and for most generic sticks of PC2100 it won't go above 150MHz or so. So until you upgrade your RAM, you're never going to get that Barton working at it's default spec. If your PC will POST, get into the BIOS and set it to 133*14, which is about the same speed as it should be but takes account of your RAM. If you can't POST, hold down Insert at startup until you hear the beep, then hold down Delete until you get into the BIOS screen. This will boot your computer at 11x100MHz. Anyway, you will have to run your FSB underclocked until you get better RAM - the Barton is made for PC2700 and up, I'm afraid.

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Glad you said that, i thought i was going mad! :worried:

you could try to adjust the cpu/ram ratio to 6/5 if the option is there like bigz suggested in the other thread but performance will not be much difference to underclocking the barton i expect.

BTW it may help to know what motherboard you have too

6. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Indeed, full system specs often help in a case like this ;)

7. Dark_Blender

Ok well I tried setting it at the 133 and it comes up as athlon xp 1700 but thats not the problem. Still having problems installing the OS. When I have it boot from CD it goes throught the first set of options and then it says

"File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The Error Code is 14

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to ext."

Also, here are hardware specs:
    mobo = Chaintech ct-7njl3
    proc = Athlon XP 2500+
    Some generic PC2100 DDR
    Geforce 4 Ti4400
    Maxtor HDD as IDE-0 at 20GB....
    IDE-1 is IBM deskstar at 40gb both at 7200 RPM

8. Dark_Blender

Ive tried switching up the HDDs and CD ROMs and all Ive ever gotten this far is a different error (#7). Im running really low on ideas and dunno what to do.

9. reGen

reGen Minimodder

maybe its a ****ed up CD? try another winxp cd :idea:

10. Dark_Blender

Could be but there are two small small scratches on it. Its also the only windows xp CD I have. I do have a windows 98 somehwere but I cant find it.

11. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

I decided to give XP a chance a few months ago.
    On install I also got several weird errors.
    I decided it was fate and went back to good old Win2k.

The generic ram may be the issue.
    I have one good stick of Crucial and one generic pc2700.
    My Abit NF7 works fine with the Crucial, but as soon as that generic ram is in there it freezes up and gives errors.
    Buy, beg, borrow, steal some good ram and see if that doesn't fix it.

I too have an XP2500.
    Even on default settings my mobo reads it as an Unknown cpu type.

12. Dark_Blender

WEll my mobo finds the CPU when I set the frequency. New RAM would be solid but I cant afford it. Why would win xp have problems with ram type tho?

13. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

It might be that the board doesnt like the RAM. I dont know much about chaintech boards but some are very particular about using generic RAM. Can you borrow a stick of non generic stuff from a mate?

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

a board manufacturer finally did the right thing :hehe:

to stop people using crappeh generic ram in their systems! w00t! :D

15. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

16. Dark_Blender

:lol: But crappy generic stuff is where the price is at! When you pay $24k a year for college you learn to beliece in generic

17. Dark_Blender

Now FixED!

The computer is now fixed. Took out one of the RAM modules and now it works fine. Im gonna try to put it back in eventually caz Im not diggin the 256MB RAM for a somewhat beefy puter. :clap: