1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Problems with retailer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpu121, 10 Nov 2004.

1. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Last Christmas my brother got a computer (MSI 651 Mega PC, Intel 2.4 512MB), with a Hercules ATi Radeon 9800SE all in wonder graphics card that they assured us would work. However since the summer it has been overheating (returned computer to get new fan fitted/solve another problems), and now having sent it back a second time they are saying the card is dead, partly they say because of the close confines of the case, which we were assured would not be a problem.

Since hercules don't make graphics cards anymore and this model was no longer available, we were offered a Sapphire 9800 Pro (not AIW), which correct me if I am wrong, gets similar temperatures as the 9800SE, so it would still have the same problem. Not only that, we specifically bought the 9800SE because of its AIW features and TV tuner so we're getting the feeling that we're being shortchanged here (very small performance increase does not make up for the loss of the AIW features), however if we want the TV features we either have to go with a fairly **** FX 5200 or Radeon 9200 AIW, or buy an external TV tuner out of our pocket. The card is still under warranty (barely) so should we accept the 9800 Pro, which I think will also have problems, and get an external tuner, or should we demand that the company come up with a better solution?

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Definatley accept the 9800 Pro, there is a massive difference between it and the SE, even if it ends up you have to buy a PCI card to compensate for the loss of AIW features, do it, you won't regret it :D

3. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

If I'm not mistaken, the 9800Pro will out perform the 9800SE pretty well when both are at stock, ie no bios flashing or softmodding or whatever. Even if both are the 256-bit versions, the 9800Pro still has 8 pipelines compared to the 9800SE's 4 pipelines. So I would think that what you are losing out on is TV out functionality. If that is a significant concern to you, then I would certainly talk to the retailer about that part. But as far as the performance goes, the 9800Pro will be the better performer.

There are, of course, 9800Pro cards with TV out, but I would imagine it would take some doing to get the retailer to want to give you one of those as a replacement. But if the TV out is important enough to you, give it a shot. Maybe they will at least work out a pro-rated price on it or something.

4. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

I would look at a 9600 (xt?) AIW...
    I understand they run cooler, and should perform similarly to a 9800se....

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It's not TV-Out that he's bothered about. AIW cards have an integrated TV Tuner (so he can watch TV on his PC)...

6. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

That's correct, we sacrificed good gaming perfomance, because TBH my brother didn't need it, for the TV tuner function as his TV had gone kaput last October. We were told when we phoned up to order that there would be no issue about the heat produced by any of the components in such a tight space, so it appears we've been misled about that as well.

The main worry is that because the machine is unable to cope with a perfomance card (Remember it's a SFF and even with a PCI cooling fan beside it, we still had to take the sides off and use a desk fan so that it would boot without artifacts) we'll be forced to take an average performing card without any of the features that we forked over £700 for. Having looked at the retailer's site they don't appear to offer ANY all-in-wonder models and the closest they have to it is a Nvidia FX 5200 personal cinema. Is it too much to ask the firm to get onto their supplier and see if they can get a cooler AIW model (doubtful I guess because of the higher cost to them of buying just one card)?

7. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

That's odd, my 9800SE AIW also recently died after 11 months use, and so was just covered under warranty. I got £175.08 refunded :D

Tags: