1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V problrms with audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samuelellis, 7 Nov 2005.

1. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

ok im currently building up a spare pc to be an in car pc

the problem is that the sound is annying me

when it is playing an mp3 or a video file its fine but as soon as anything xhanges (ie moving though the options in winamp) the sound goes jump and scratch y as well as it appears to slow down a bit, this lasts for a few seconds and then goes back to mormal

i know the wiring is ok as my other pc is not affected

the pc specs are pretty lowly
    lex mainboard
    sb16 sound card
    geforece 4 grahics card
    duron 700

ok so far i have

reinstalled the grahics drivers with the ones off of invidia
    got new sound drivers for the sound card
    upgraded the via 4 in one drivers
    makd sure the latest version of direct x is on the pc

but its still doing it, this is a fresh windows install (xp home, SP2)

any ideas?

2. samuelellis

ok as an update i have just taken the sb 16 out and let the on board card try and work

i now get no distortion at all BUT the sound is only coming out of one speaker

edit the board is a lex bn780 and the on bouard sound is just the run of the mill ac79 chip

Last edited: 7 Nov 2005
  3. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Ok usually when using the on board sound you have to set it so it plays off of more than one speaker, i had to download software for mine to play off all 5 of mine, Also what is your speaker setup in the car? Are they computer speakers or just regular stereo speakers?

4. samuelellis

at the moment i am running a normal pair of speakers in the house though a 2ch amp to test this (its still in testing stage)

the ice it will be wired up though can be seen here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=95665

the car will still just take a sterio out so it should work immediatly with this setup

5. samuelellis

ok i tried swapping the cards round to see if there was some conflict but it is still doing it and windows is not displaying any conflicts

any ideas?

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

That card is probably not PnP, unless I'm mistaken about its age. You can get cheap PCI soundcards for less than £5 now - get a newer one that supports the standards and probably gives better audio quality.

7. samuelellis

hmmm sod it if i have to buy a new card im gonna spend some money and get a damn good one

shame i cant get this card working as i was hoping not to spend a penny - ah well

8. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

If you can find it... the HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold is cracking VFM :rock:

I've got one here... but it's very hard to get hold of now, and I can't for the life of me remember where I bought mine :confused: :wallbash:

9. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

OCUK stock them, however while they're great HT soundcards they're not really your best option for two-channel sound. That'd probably be the E-MU 0404, which while more expensive is also easily worth every penny.

Gonna move this to AV now, where the audiophiles can get at it ;)