1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processor Decisions :o

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt.slysnake, 30 Jan 2007.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

where are they cheaper? pretty much everywhere is selling them even...fry's...compusa...newegg included...i wouldnt say edb is useless...not at all...but again, my opinion...some might say the 266 fsb advantage of the 6300 over the 4300 is useless, or minor...but you know, those things add up...i would like to understande how you think it would clock higher on a board with 1:1 divider? i thought it would help get similar (though still lower in the one test i saw) with lower speed ram...

edit...checked newegg today, and it is actually cheaper on there now, by $8...

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

As to the store, one is Micro Center. Also, the E4300 does have Execute Disable Bit.
    But the FSB advantage isn't really much of an advantage, the benchmarks show a performance difference between an E4300 and an E6300, but I think once you overclock them enough you won't see much of a difference anymore. Even if they are even in cost, the more you have to spend on memory to get the same clockspeeds should make the E4300 come out to less then the E6300.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

He might not hit 500 on a 975 board, but it'll be the board maxing out, rather than the CPU - and that was my point.

4. trig

when did the e4300 get edb? per intel it doesnt have it...and "once you overclock them enough" you would see a more pronounced difference, wouldnt you? im looking for the link for the comparo i saw...coulda sworn it was on here...but again the 4300 was not able to match the 6300, but was able to get close with lower speed ram. thats not an advantage to anyone getting 800 mhx ram or better, is it?
    and im gettin confused krikkit...like i said man, i know you know ur stuff...but im getting confused as to what argument you are making...originally you said the e4300 would out-clock an e6300 on a 975 board...now ur sayin it wont but only because the board would max out??

5. Krikkit

No, no. I'm saying a 4300 would have a better chance of outclocking a 6300 because the 6300 has a higher initial FSB.

On a 975 board, a good 6300 can be limited by the board's max FSB before it gets to its own max overclock.

If you start with a lower-clocked bus-speed then you've got a better chance of a better clock.

I hadn't heard about the EDB thing, but I'm sure it doesn't make a massive difference.

6. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

Sooo, if I am going for the gigabyte DS3 or the Asus p5n-e SLI (currently swaying towards this board) which would achieve the best overclocking results? e4300 or e6300, thanks :)

7. Krikkit

Well the DS3's a 965 board (afaik) and the P5N-E is a 650i board, so I shouldn't think there'll be much reason to go for a 4300, get a 6300 and you'll be fine I'm sure. :)

8. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

Ok - thanks, and you recommend the P5N board?

Sorry but, what's the difference between 965 and 650i :worried:

9. trig

this isnt what i was reading the other day, but still...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126278
    aight...i see what ur sayin krikkit...and one thing the above article says is that it will overclock better on less oc'able boards due to the higher multi...so in that instance, for someone with a cheaper board, it would make sense to go 4300...SEE!! i knew you would teach me something!!

10. trig

the 650i's big deal is...
    1)sli for c2d
    2)clock memory independantly (i think...its been a long day)

11. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Nope, thatS the R600.