1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Processor FAN running very high

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by keith_j_snyder2, 4 Sep 2010.

1. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 What's a Dremel?

Last week i thought i should give my pc a boost so i decided to overclock my C2Duo E7200 to 3GHz but it didn't boot after that. So i ran the defaults from BIOS & ever since my CPU fan (Cooler Master Hyper 48) is running on 3500 rpm & gets pretty noisy. Earlier it wasn't making any noise. The CPU temp. is also not high but CPU fan seems to be running constantly near 3500 rpm.

[​IMG]

I tried to update the BIOS through MSI live update but it is already the latest version. My pc specs. are
    [​IMG]

Now i do need to overclock the CPU a bit but more than that i need silent PC. Please guide me as i m pretty much feeling a n00b here.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2010
  2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Have you checked the settings in the bios? You should be able to set the fan to detect when it needs to spin up under the power section or hardware monitor part of the bios. Probably called something like CPU Q-Fan Control.

As for the overclock..well it sounds like you need more voltage to either the cpu or the north bridge if it won't boot. You could try a smaller overclock and see if it will boot. As to fiddling with voltages.. I'll leave the advise giving to those more qualified.

3. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 What's a Dremel?

Last time i overclocked my CPU was with my older board (gigabyte G33M-S2L) which was not at all an overclocker board compared to current MSI P45C NEI-FIR & it did ran the same CPU on 3GHz. I m running this system on Antec Smart power 450W. I guess power should not be an issue with the system as i tried to overclock barely 150 MHz over stock but the system didn't took it & kept on restarting.
    Is this my motherboard which is crappy or something else wrong with it?

As for the fan part, i did the same what's with Q fan & it seems to do the thing but i still like the older auto settings when i don't have to monitor the fan speed. If this is the case which i have to follow forever then please give me the link for something like Afterburner or EVGA precision tool for CPU.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You shouldn't have to monitor the fan, it should just spin up when the cpu increases in heat. I'm not quite sure what you mean there.

I do think it is odd you can't get the pc to boot at 3GHZ. Have you checked the memory settings to make sure they are not being overclocked with the cpu? Check the FSB strap and make sure that the ram isn't pushed passed what it can handle.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

read your mb manual.. looks like you have different slots for ddr2 pairs and ddr3

ddr2 is slots A1, B1.. ddr3 is memory slots A2, B2.. to overclock the fsb it has 3 switches on the mb too besides the bios overclocking- it's all in the manual

under h/w monitor in the bios will fix your fan