1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux ProFTPd User Ban

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheAbyssDragon, 16 Jul 2009.

1. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

I need to block a single specific user (my primary user) from logging onto ProFTPd. I have an alternate account, without a valid shell, which I use for ftp purposes. I've tried searching Google, but all I can find are threads of people trying to do the opposite (account can't log on for some reason, trying to fix it).

Any unix admins out there know how to prevent certain users or groups from connecting?

Thanks in advance.

2. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Try under your <Global> section

<Limit LOGIN>
    Deny Username
    </Limit>

TheAbyssDragon likes this.
  3. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

That did it, but it's DenyUser and I was reminded through trial and error that the username needs to be lowercase.

Thanks!

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Glad to have helped. I always use ProFTPD when doing FTP servers. Great Program. I would also suggest picking up a security app for your IPtables like Denyhosts or Fail2Ban. It will save you a lot of headaches when you come under attack. (esp if you have a standard port open like SSH, I had over 90,000 lines of attacks logged a day!)

5. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

I'm always looking to increase my server's security. I'll do some independent research, but which would you recommend to an intermediate user?

6. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

It looks as though Fail2ban is a lot more flexible, as it can be setup to monitor many different logs.