1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: 8-bit Super Mushroom 3/23/10 (Finished)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Thorkon, 23 Mar 2010.

1. Thorkon

Thorkon What's a Dremel?

I've been meaning to start my work log as I was building but I had alot of time constraints and decided to make it after I finished the mod so as not to get bogged down with updating the log and trying to finish the htpc in time. I am going to Penny Arcade Expo and will be bringing the mod there so I just finished with a day or so to spare :D. I took a good amount of pictures as it progressed and a time-lapse video of the whole construction of the mod.

I Thought I had my other work log on here of the 8-bit black mage but I guess not, I will post that as well. I like to make 8-bit theme computer case mods and this one is not an exception as you will see. The goal of this mod was to build a HTPC for my living room and try to keep it minimal but capable of gaming. In the long run I ended up with this:

ZOTAC GF9300 mini-itx board
    9800GT
    C2Q Q8200
    4gb of Ram
    640gb HDD
    1 Fan

And so the worklog begins!

This is the bottom. Since I am running with one fan at the back (venting air outward) I have holes in the bottom to draw air in underneath the motherboard. The case will be raised an inch off the ground to allow air in with red case feet.
    [​IMG]

This is with the motherboard in place
    [​IMG]

Loose blocks to get an idea for the placement of the i/o panel and fan
    [​IMG]

Bottom of the case with eyes
    [​IMG]

Top part of the case in its beginning phase
    [​IMG]

The power button (will be flat when not pressed)
    [​IMG]

A quick preview of how its shaping up
    [​IMG]

Yet another preview
    [​IMG]

And the final shape of the mod from the front
    [​IMG]

The final shape of the mod from the back
    [​IMG]

Front again with death eyes. This did not make it in the final version as his eyes are normally black and I could not get a bright enough LED to get through the opal stain glass
    [​IMG]

The dome is removable so I can get a hand in the case if needed. This is with all the parts inside the case. No screws hold anything other than the motherboard, which is screwed down. Everything else is wood cubes holding the HDD in place, The PSU, and the case fan.
    [​IMG]

Getting some paint on it after a quick trip to Sherwin Williams. Good thing I only needed 3 colors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the flash I believe it makes it look slightly fake in some of the pictures
    [​IMG]

Heres the back with the case fan which removes alot of air quietly. I'm very happy with this fan!
    [​IMG]

Insides (XXX for you naughty modders):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the power button on top:
    [​IMG]

Ha, I know its not professional but it gets the job of the button done and I stuck with the only wood block theme :)
    [​IMG]

Next to my other mod, the 8-bit Black Mage:
    [​IMG]

And I decided to put the size in perspective by sitting between them ha.
    [​IMG]

Here is the time lapse of the whole thing being built:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAq2_QkjGIE

I like to consider the video my work log but I digress. I hope you all enjoy my old school theme!

t1alek likes this.