1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Atomic Breadbin

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skunkmunkey, 18 Oct 2008.

1. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Excellent job with the walnut veneer. It really does remind me of E.T. btw. I can't wait to see the finished product. Also, I can't tell if I'm underestimating the size of the breadbox or overestimating the size of the hardware. It's probably both.

Seems like there's a lot of room in there, maybe enough that a full size PSU would fit? I've never seen one of those PicoPSU's but I hope it works well. 90 Watts seems like it's cutting it really close for powering that motherboard and hard drive, let alone a cd/dvd drive (if you're putting one in).

2. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

@Slipperyskip: Thanks, There were a few times when I thought id broke the edges but thankfully I was lucky.

@cheapskate: LMAO

@steveo_mcg: The veneering looks much better than id hoped, will certainly use it again in future mods.

@beast: Thanks mate

@krog_mod : Thanks mate,the power draw of mobo and cpu is only 8 & 45 watts. Im using laptop drives and only 3 usb devices. Ive been assured that 90 watts will be ok (although im still a little skeptical myself!) Im using a pico psu for 2 reasons, the case will also function as a speaker box so it needs to have some room and also the case will not have any fans so I need to keep heat down.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2008
  3. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Ok, been very busy at work so have been squeezing in modding time late at night, and here are the fruits of my labour...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats to hold the dvd burner in place, the akasa sound foam is to dampen the vibrations from the speakers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard drive cage. Not really pretty, but this case is not often likely to be opened again and im on a time limit. This is mounted on the side of the case now due to the tv card getting in the way.

[​IMG]

carved out a hole for the monitor cable etc, this will also serve as the bass port for the speakers.

[​IMG]

again not pretty, just functional, thats a matrix orbital GX typhoon screen there (thanks to the guys over at Matrix Orbital).

I have taken the screen out of its holder and glued it too the case, there is a 8mm thick piece of smoked plexi in front of the screen, this darkens it slightly and takes out the glare of the screen

[​IMG]

Starting to take shape now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't leave that back panel looking all nasty. so got some 1.5mm thick oak veneer to smarten it up...

[​IMG]

and made this to fit around the volume and bass/treble controlls for the speakers.

[​IMG]

Made a little polished aluminium frame to got around the screen, cut that out using my scroll saw, first chance ive had to use it.

[​IMG]

The finished front panel, thats clear dyring sealant round the edge, need to have the pc sealed to get a decent bass from the speakers.

Sponsored by : [​IMG]

http://www.matrixorbital.com

4. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Maybe it's just too late for me and I need to go to bed. But, I really hope you have some sort of plan to make that matrix orbital display some kind of mouth and to have that computer say something when you open the box. If you don't that's ok.. I'll just draw a smile on the picture with photoshop.. or even make a gif out of it. Robot voice: "Looking for bread?"

5. munkyman

munkyman What's a Dremel?

that makes my current idea of project go :lol:

6. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

OK, so christmas is over and the pc is done! well it was done on christmas day but ive been busy with work and stuff. Im already starting a big scratch build so I will just post the final part of my log.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see everything is up and running and it looks good in place. The velco is so the keyboard can be detatched if needed, I suppose I could have thought of some thing more elegant given time but I was on a deadline. The breadbin fits just right in my mums kitchen. All in all i'd say Dual Atom is good for a basic media center, although it cant handle HD footage. It copes with vista fine considering its laptop (albeit 7200rpm) drive and 2gb ram. The Media remote and LCD is great so hats off to Matrix orbital for donating the screen, its really simple to create custom screens using their lcdstudio software and there are some great premadeo ones out there too. More pics to come shortly.

7. modscases.com

modscases.com What's a Dremel?

mmmmm cool idea i like it when you use a small cd rom

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The speakers and the bay make a face, I just noticed that

It's coming along very nicely

9. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

hehe thanks, that was done last christmas, has an ion board, 64gb ssd and windows 7 in it now though.

10. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I'm thinking of using an old Epia 800 mITX board to build a kitchen computer within the next year or so. Using a breadbin is such a brilliant and kick-yourself-obvious solution I'd never have thought of it :hehe:

And yeah loving the face also :D

o _ o

Tags: