1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Audiophile

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by counterclockwise, 18 May 2003.

1. counterclockwise

counterclockwise New Member

A newly started project of mine - i am aiming to fit all my pc components into a 2U 260mm deep case. (for those that dont know, that makes the case 410w x 85h x 260d in mm)

The computer will be for my general use, which is games, schoolwork, HD recording studio (hense the rackmount case :D), lan party machine and the like.

There will be a radeon 7500, small NIC and a Maxi Isis studio card on the riser, and the daughterboard for the isis (goes to breakout box) will be mounted above the i/o shield (it's a shallow card anyway)

it really is very small

bits are arriving at the moment, waiting for the psu, riser card and for my exams to finish. I have some (rough) cad drawings below =)

enjoy!

Oh, and CDROM shoule read DVD/CDRW combo... just wanted to clear that up =)

the real thing will be black, power buttons stainless steel vandal resist, 2 blue leds with chrome grommets, and a chrome standard fan guard. the CPU fan will be open through a hole in the top of the box, cos the heatsink fills the 85mm i have :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <><

Last edited: 18 May 2003
  2. Walibe

Walibe New Member

Move the fan to the rear to try and keep a nice clean face.

3. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Yea.. definitely agree. Oh actually may be 80mm fan at 7V instead. 3.5" is enough for 80mm fans. Focpu fan you might need 1u copper ones. Because there is not enough clearance for good air ventillation for normal hsf, and you may find sucking works better than blowing for 1u/2u situations.

Farnell and maplin both have 2U steel case with alu front panel for less than 50 pounds... and I think I've seen full alu construction ones too for about 80-90 pounds.

You might need vent holes at sides and bottom for air intake.
    Good choice for not bothering with floppy :D

Where do you buy agp riser with 3pci and 1agp??? I think I've only seen those with 2pci and 1agp.

By the way, those 1u psu deep 40mm fans are really noisy. And as an audiophille, you can't let this happen...

Hey dont forget stardard rackmount rails and handles!! ;)

4. counterclockwise

there's no space at the back really, unless i went for a couple of 40mm, one on each side. yeah, i know th psu's are noisy, i'll replace it with a handy quiet one =) there's no way in hell i have enough depth to use a standard one (which would fit height wise) as then there is no place in the case with enough depth for an optical drive, a big no-no. >.<

the riser only has 2 pci and 1 agp.... that's why there's only 3 slots on it ;)
    where have you seen these btw? i can only find one site that actually sells them, and their prices are astronomical...(like £60)

i have bought a case (it's was £25 so £10 cheaper than maplins, and i want the system to be black which tis is. besides, maplins website don't give you the dimensions of the things (grr) there are vent holes on the bollon, none in the sides (yet)

handles are sorted. rails are still an issue though...

for the cpu, i am making a hole so the HS draws air directly from outside the case/ blows air straight out. i dont know whether that will be an intake or exhaust yet.

plans are underway =)

5. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

£60 is about right I reckon, because of AGP slot.

I personally don't like the idea of a hole on top, because PRO-rackmounters don't do that (i.e. Compaq, Dell, IBM, all DJ equipments etc).

Where do you buy a rackmount case so cheap?

I really want one of those mini-rack (i.e. 10.5" instead of 19") cases...

EDIT: you sure those 150w to 200w 1u PSU is enough for the system?

Last edited: 18 May 2003
  6. counterclockwise

got the case from here . the £25 includes shipping, and despite how dodgy their website looks, they are genuine (i was shocked lol) and it got here within 5 days including time for the cheque to clear.

yeah, i'd prefer a heat pipe or something, but i guess it all depends. i have some very low depth units in my rack, so i can just but it below one of them

my sound card uses one of the half rack boxes for a breakout... looked in maplin? the have all kinds of sizes of boxes, you could probably find one really close to a half rack...

the 1u psu i have my eye on is a p4 compatible 300W one, so yes =)

7. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

OMFG!!! That is REAL cheap!
    Thank you very, very much for the link! I'm gonna buy one, I just have to!

I assume it is made of thick steel, right? Now I wish they have 1U :) Let me email them now.

Yes I know about maplin project boxes... but I need real rack stuff, as at some point I will buy a cabinet to house switches and other network stuff. Is that 300w model expensive? I suppose it is because it is hard to get 300w in that tiny place.

8. counterclockwise

no idea of the cost of the PSU, it's from another company, who don't have it on their price list. it doesnt bother me cos they are in leicester 10 mins cycle away from me, so i'll go down there sometime.

the box is 1mm steel all over, part from the front which is 3 mm

edit 1: (with a half rack unit it doesnt matter though, as they are half width they dont come with mounting lugs ever, you have to get a 1u shelf and put 2 on it)

you wouldnt even get a mini-itx system into one though...
    edit 2: bad spelling ;)

9. counterclockwise

now working on a redesign using slimline cd - this will let me use a standard PSU (w00t, saved money!), mount the HDD under the CD and have more sensible airflow through the case, so it's something that seems to be workth doing :D

I am also going to calculate for cables, an oversight in the previous design

with fans, heatpipes cost too much, so the top blowhole stays, but i think i shall mount 2 40mm on the back and none on the front...

Riser card is getting a look over too, as it's quite hard to allow for full size cards when using an ATX PSU... i might have to mod the PSU to make it less wide in some way...

I'll post the designs later.

10. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

10.5" x 260mm x 1U fits an ITX nicely actually :) but of couse it is with those 30mm width 55w PSUs.

Normal ATX psu is good because it has more power and a bigger fan :D HOWEVER, a laptop combo drive would cost a bomb. I looked last week and this thing is well over 100pounds. (more like 140 or so). Even if you found a second hand slow (such as 8x write) one, it would still be over 70...

May be just a slim DVD, not combo, as a resort? (this is asumming you are on a budget)

11. counterclockwise

am on a budget, so i hunted around ebay (w00t for ebay!) and found some1 selling one for a fiver.. it's got 3 days to go, and no one else has bid on it. know why? it hasn't got a front bezel. handy moddin skills time =D i'll just have to make one 's a bit of a wierd shape, so it might take a couple of tries. alternatively, i have a really old ibm cd drive here, and i could use ythe bezel from that.... just have to hope the buttons match up, they should do right?

<><

12. counterclockwise

new plans below...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yes i know this diagram has the cdrw/dvd drive sticking into the psu, i will combat this in one of 2 ways : shrink the psu (someone posted a guide, can't rmember who, but credit anyway), or just cut bits out of it's current box.

If i do the former i could fit in a second optical drive, for on the fly copy goodness...

what do you think?

Last edited: 19 May 2003
  13. counterclockwise

a few more thoughts...
    considering not using the isis, but instead selling it to fund the rest of the project (I reckon I could get about £100 for it =D) and getting an SB live value(hooray for reasonable and cheap soundcards!), and doing a little electrical modding to provide 6 xlr inputs and at least 2 xlr outputs on the front panel (or maybe back panel, it's not that important right now) I'm still working out the wiring, when I get it I will practice a little on £3 soundcards til I know I wont mess up the SB, and when I'm sure I can, I will do it on the SB and hope it works =)

LiveDrive was a possibility earlyer in the project, but it's too much of a consumery product, and it's quite big. I think it would look odd on the front panet too, where as some of these or equivelent would look great...
    [​IMG]

lemme know what you think

14. counterclockwise

plans have changed again =)

in order to get 6 inputs and 4 outputs (maybe 6 (5.1) if i can, dunno though), i am going to throw in a livedrive, without the front panel. the connectors will be linked to xlrs as above, mounted on the front of the case. i have drawings in the pipeline...

the livedrive will be the bare board with connectors ripped out of it, and mouted entirely internally, and i'll connect the xlrs to where the ports were. if i have space on the front panel i'll put on the ir and vol controls too.

for you to imagine for now, the rest of the front panel will be populated with xlr sockets as above, and the LD board will be mounted below the hdd. =)

it's getting more than crowded, might have to add another case fan in the top of the thing to cool the cards..

15. counterclockwise

righty - new plans - put in a smaller psu i found at kustompcs.co.uk, and i've allowed for the LD

[​IMG]
    front
    [​IMG]
    back

I really want to get on with this now... have to wait for bits and exams to arrive and be finished respectivly though

ah well, i guess all this thinking it through will only make it better in the end =)

16. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly New Member

You can't use 40mm fans they don't push enough air if they're quiet!
    Why not try one of those PCI slot blowers or a smaller version?

17. counterclockwise

i guess that's a possibility... i've never had experience with 40mm's... i know you can get mini slot blowers though... i'll get my local to let me hear their options in action to give me an idea first though =)

18. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I second the advice against 40mm fans. They REALLY don't push much air (imagine an ultra-quiet 60mm) and make an annoying noise. Generally speaking, the smaller the fan, the more of a squeal it puts out. If you've heard 120mm fans, you'll notice they're more of a "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv" than a "weeeeeeeeeeee".

19. counterclockwise

righty... now i have to decide between blowers of another lid mounted fan of 80 mm... tough choice... blowers are gonna be harder to mount, but a fan on the lid makes for annoyinh opening of the case ...

20. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Well I have a mate with one of those PCI slot blowers and it seems around the same noise level as a standard 80mm fan and a tiny bit less airflow.