1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :blingGreen(04/03/2005 - MaximumPC's June issue! Rig of the Month!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 21 Apr 2004.

1. modex

modex What's a Dremel?

good looking box :dremel:

2. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Nice top :thumb:

The blowholes position in front panel.. :miffed: I don't like it
    <div align="center"> there :D

3. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Yeah.... the non centered location was more to be different, and to add to the construction challange.
    I was hoping that it would have offered more in the realm of beauty than it does...

(shrug)

Oh well, maybe on a v2 of the mod, I'll "enhance" the front with a 120mm fan and center it if I can! ;)

But not now... no no no... too close to having this thing done!
    ;)

Thanks for the replys folks! Keep em comming! :thumb:

4. redux

redux What's a Dremel?

I like the look of the front as it as, you don't see too many cases like that around. But perhaps I am a bit biased because I modded the exact same case, hehe. I'll drop you a pic whenever I find my camera software disk and install it, if ever. Also do you know what brand and model this case is? I think its a CasEdge case? I picked it up at frys a few years ago and forgot. Its been bugging me lately.

5. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

very sweet light effect on that top window, bro! :thumb: great looking case, although the flames on the side aren't too easy to see in that night pic :) But who use their computer in complete darkness anyways :D

So do you have any more great ideas for this pimp rig? :naughty: or are you all done? :clap:

6. Tech-Daddy

I have a UV reactive plexi that is being shipped to me, I plan on cutting it to an outline that is about 2mm larger than the flame patterns. I am hoping that, in conjunction with the UV tubes in the case, the edges of the plexi will light similar to neon! And illuminate my hidden flames!

;)

That is my solution to your concern! And it is something that has bothered me for quite a while, and I'm hoping that this will be a pimpin' solution to the flames issue!
    :idea:

7. Tech-Daddy

Sheeeet Dog! Looking good!

no pics, just an informal "Yeeee Haaa" celebratory post.

Soldered up the leads on the Bulgin (*snicker*, "He said Bulgin...") switch and attached it up to one of my test boards that I have in the garage.

Beatuiful functionality and sweet blu-ness from the switch! I am a happy camper!

I bought some SAE washers that are big enough in the center to allow the switch to pass thru, and the rubber seal washer on the back side fits the inner diameter of the washer like a glove! The washer is a little too bright and shiny for my tastes, so I will dull it down with the metalcast base coat tomorrow to see if I can make it better blend with the Bulgin. If the grey metalcast does not work, I'll try painting it to the blue metal cast coloring. Once I have the paint/color situation figured out, I'll attach the power switch to the existing leads (since I have already sleeved the wires and put heat shrink on them), I'll also attach the power LED leads to the existing wires on the switch. This will buy me some slack should I need to remove the front bezel in the future.

My first foray into soldering went well! I am happy with the strength and connectivity of the results! :clap:

I'll try and get it all mounted tomorrow night, as I need to stop off at my local electronics shop and pick up some micro heat shrink to cover up the solder legs, and a few other little cheats that I have used in the past.

Lemme hear some "Yeee Haaa's out thar!"
    ;)

8. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Good for you. Glad the sodering went well for you. As for the Yee Haw. That should only be reserved for Texans. So as a native of Mississippi I will give you a "Great Job Son" :)

9. Tech-Daddy

Switch in, just not wired yet...

Will need to hold off until I have the bottom painted and completed.
    But here are a few pics to tide you over the hump for a few days!

Back of the switch, heat shrink in place, and using one of the SAE washers to give the switch something to grab onto since I had to cut plastic away for the switch to fit properly:
    [​IMG]

Ok, now... I "thought" (that is dangerous) that maybe the grey metalcast would work with the brushed alu of the bulgin, I was wrong... so then the "thought" came to me... Make it metalcast blue like your other switches...

:eyebrow:

[​IMG]

D'OH!!!! That doesn't work!!!!

So... uhm... do I trust my head to give me another suggestion...
    "Dude, you nit wit... paint it blue like the bezel!"

:thumb:

[​IMG]

Much better!
    My final bulk paint will be the bottom of the case, then I can wire up the front panel and get the power switch doing what it does best!
    :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately, it is supposed to be raining all this week... :duh:
    sooooo, I doubt that I'll be able to get into this, unless the humidity comes down a bit... in which case I'll paint! ;)

Also, my UV acrylic arrived! (YAY!!!!) :clap:
    Folks, if you need UV and you are in the USA, go to http://www.delviesplastics.com/fluorescent%20sheets.htm this stuff is nice! :jawdrop:

I'll get some pics of the sheets up tomorrow!

Last edited: 29 Jul 2004
  10. Tech-Daddy

&$(*)#$&)@#!!!!!!

My provider (Comcast) mysteriusly DELETED my home broadband account!!!!!
    Therefore, until such time as they get off their ass and get my account reinstated, my pics will be red X'd. THey have assured that it will be functional by tomorrow, however my concern is that the account was deleted, and not "suspended". If so, then I'll have to rebuild my graphics on the site... Grrrrrrrrr....

We were not behind, we were on time, and the Customer service agent stated that there was no reason for our account to have been altered.

ARGH!!!!!! :waah: :wallbash: :waah: :wallbash: :waah: :wallbash:
    More later... :grr: :grr: :grr:

11. modex

modex What's a Dremel?

****tt

oh man i loved this peoject
    dont stop

12. Tech-Daddy

Lost inspiration....

Got my broadband fixed today... yay!

Had to put my dog to sleep this morning due to illness... :waah:

I'm not really happy right now, I miss him so much.

More later,
    :blah:

13. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

awe man that sucks Dogs truly are mans best freind, i had one i loved him so much but we had to give him away, but anyway, sorry bout the Dog, but feel better and mod more

14. Halogen

Halogen What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear that Tech :(

But if you ever need help of any kind with your cases I'm here in in Garland :)

15. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

Seriously dude.. Are you going to paint the case in those colors??? I looks like ****, sorry.

16. Tech-Daddy

Well... let's see here... I started this a few months back, the case is 98% completed, it is a blue/green motif...

yep, I think I'll be sticking with the blue/green!
    ;)

Sorry it's not to your liking, but then... this is not your case! :D
    I'm happy (not extatic mind you, but happy) with the way it has turned out.

I'll have a different color scheme on my next case that I do. I've also learned not mo mix dark colors and a tinted window! :thumb: :duh:

Oh well, live and learn! Each case is a step in the learning process!
    Next one will be better!

Halogen, thanks for the offer. Maybe we will hook up sometime!
    ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? - Appreciate the sympathy, and the inspiration.

As a non pic update, I've done a bit more sleeving and molex work, finished painting the bottom of the computer unit, and will start working on the plexi for the flames this evening.

This has been a rough few days, but I'm getting through it.
    Take care everyone!

17. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear about your dog man.. Glad you got your broadband back up and running. If you ever need hosting for anything let me know. Ohh need to see more pics and the full bling..

18. Tech-Daddy

Ok... back with a vengance!

I finally (after enough of my whining about the white base plate) got off my a$$ and masked up the computer, painted the base to match the rest in color so that I'd quit thinking of a 1/2 Oreo cookie everytime I looked at my comp! (makes me hungry! MMmmmmmm)

So, sorry guys, I did not pic the masking and the painting. After my dog was put down, I was a bit out of it for a few days. I had to get myself motivated again, so I forced myself to get that base done as a quick and accomplishable project... just to start the mod ball to rolling again.

Well, it worked!

Case is right @ about 98% complete. I still need to buy my multi-media 3.5 inch device, and I need to get my template printed that will allow me to test flame cut sizes before I go and start hacking on the UV acrylic.

Regardless, I finished up the Bulgin last night, wrapped up the mountingand now the case at least "looks" nearly complete!

Here are my pics from this evening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot that is kinda from the back to the front (looking inside the case at the back of the intake fan up front, and the folds of velvet in front of it:
    [​IMG]

Looking up towards the powersupply:
    [​IMG]

Tha rear....
    [​IMG]

tha front...
    [​IMG]

My flame lovin roof....
    [​IMG]

and with a little flash to show the case, but not drown the lighting...
    [​IMG]

I'll have more up after I figure out how to create an image of the side of my case, I bet if I pull the case window panel, lay it on white paper, then have Paintshop Pro or Photoshop do some sort of smart outline... I'll be able to accurately print out a scalable view of my case panel to create a template by!

:thumb:

That'll work...

Check you people later!

19. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Not quite my kind of look. But its still incrediably nice. You've put a lot of thought and work into this case :)

Well done :)

BTW Bloo rules :)

20. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Welcome back Mr. Daddy.. Glad to see you are rolling with the project again.