1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: CarPC Audi A3 Updated 23/09/07

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MiT, 13 Aug 2006.

1. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

Update!!!

So its been very long time. Guess i was just saving money and reading up. Well the plan has changed since then,

Two big changes are:

Got another car

Now:
    Audi A3 1.9 TDi SE 19" Audi RS8, Good Year F1 tyres, Lowered 30mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And two, i am building my own case.

The A3 has a built in sub and amp, but its not very good, so am gona have to learn all the wiring, and some new tricks. the boot has some nice cabin holes. But there a bit too small. See pics.

I have taken some pictures. These image show the left side (passenger), the big black thing is the Audi sub and amp. There are pictures with it in and out. Am now thinking that if i take this amp & sub out, i can put my pc in there. But then that leaves my with the problem, of getting access to it, if i need to change anything i would have take the whole panel of again. mmmmm.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some more of the passenger side:

2. MiT

CASE:

Here is my idea on the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what you think?! :D

So last week i got a metal box (minus back and front) from work. This is now my new case.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have drilled some holes for the main board, and PSU, and hard drive, which will sit under the raised mother board.

[​IMG]

I also got some scrap perspex, which am hoping to use as the front, and dremel in the Audi logo. Not sure how this will look. so all ideas are welcomed.

The back has 3 nuts on the bottom left. This will be used for the power, IGN and GND. The key switch will be like the velet switch. Extra usb slots. I will also striping out an old femal ATX connector from an old mother board, and using this as a gateway to all the wiring for motherboard, i.e. reset switch, power switch, 5v, gnd, 12v, gnd, etc. Using a connector makes it easy for me to remove it from the case.

Any thing else i should have? not have? missing? tips & advise?

I still havent figured out how am going to attached prepex to front, maybe some L shaped brackets. The back will most likly be some MDF, as its easy to work with. (what else could i use?)

Also any advise on how to best do the logos?

P.s. the long white block next to the main board, is meant to be the M2-ATX power supply, i couldn't find a sketchup model for it.

Few more images.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. :dremel:

3. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

This should be a cool project , Carputer is always fun :D Good luck!

4. Sandwich

Sandwich What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: i love that car... oh so sexy. Do you have HIDs?
    A car PC should be versatile and integrated seamlessly to beat out the factory installed one. just my 2 cents.

for the radio issue, you could possibly just use one of those handheld radios and hook it up to your PC's line-in.

5. MiT

ta. ;)

cheers..na not HIDs, just standard. Wish they were though. I agree with your comments on the OEM look, i think once i get it all working, and happy with it for a while, may do a custom dash install. I think i may have found a solution to the radio issue. There is a USB one called Silabs. You can solder on an external antenna i.e. cars one.

6. MiT

Update 12/09/2007

So I finally finished drilling the holes and what not.

Spray painted the panel, with some spray paint from pound land, and attached some of the stuff.

I also cut the hole a bit too big for USB slots, need to find a way of covering up the surrounding. Any ideas?

Still got to do some more internal wiring.

The ATX connection (de soldered from an old mother board) will be used as follows:

1. 5v
    2. GND (for 5v)
    3.12v
    4. GND (for 12v)
    5. IGN (12v)
    6. AMP IGN remote ON
    7. Power + (Switch)
    8. Power - (Switch)
    9. Reset + (Switch)
    10 Reset - (Switch)
    11. Free
    12. Free
    13. Free
    14. Free

I know there's 20, but i only soldered 14 wires, that should be enough.

The terminal:

RED (left): 12v IGN
    BLACK: GND
    RED (Right): 12v Battery

In the top left there is a valet switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. widmod

widmod Minimodder

nice project!
    I always wanted a car pc
    but I have to wait till I can afford one (or a car to install it in :lol:)