1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Evolution (AT Transformation)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Fr0z3n, 16 Apr 2004.

1. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Well since my last project is basically done I thought it would be time to start a new one. :D After sitting around and thinking for a bit I remembered I had an old perfectly good AT case laying in my closet that was begging to be modded. Thus Project: Evolution was born.

Project: Evolution is going to be about me building up an old small AT case so that it can house a standard ATX board as well as the other essentials. (i.e. Hard Drive, Optical Drives, Cooling Accesories etc.) Enough with the chatter on to pics. :clap:

Some shots of the case before the modding started.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First up I had to cut the panels of the case so that it would more like the new ATX cases. Side Panels and Top Come off for those of you who didnt know. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Then the old AT PSU holder had to go...

[​IMG]

I also had a problem with the drive cage hitting the mobo. Solution to that..cut the drive cage. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went on fitting the mobo in there so I could start figuring out what parts of the case needed to cut for the ATX panel and how I was going to mount the board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some bondo work on the front.

[​IMG]

More Updates really soon. As well as some drawings of the case to give you a idea of what im shooting for. Suggestions are very welcome. :dremel:

2. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

nice, i love AT>ATX, ive been there, and its tough, and requires alot of planning, but its always fun to do. especially if you arent able to build an entire custom case.

3. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

hehe ya. Maybe you can give me a few tips when needed. :D I have some very cool ideas I should be getting into this project pretty heavily in the next few days so alot will get accomplished. :rock:

4. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

AT - YUCK !

Very nice idea !! :D

but it is a bit :wallbash: ......
    :D

5. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Yeah ATs defiantly arent the greatest. This will be a trip though.

6. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

so far so good :rock:

7. planki

planki ...

oh the good ole days with at cases, i might have to mod my old at case it was great its tiny :)

8. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

SOme of the styling of the old AT cases are well... Interesting. Will make for an interesting project. Lots of planning though like any custom project...

Good Luck :D

9. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

how are you going to mount the mobo?

im doing a similar thing... except with a SCSI/disc tower. i was gonna "graft" on an ATX mobo tray.. would you do that, or is there an alternate method?

10. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Im not sure exactly how im going to mount the mobo just yet. The mobo is set back a little from the back of the case so that would mean I would have to cut some stuff out and move it forward or fabricate some kind of backplate out of plexi so that the things that connect to board can reach.

11. smokescreen

smokescreen What's a Dremel?

doh! pics expired

I mounted the motherboard on a sheet of plexi when i converted an old AT tower. The hardest part was getting the new mounting plate to line up with the ATX plate i had riveted to the back of the case.

Luckly the original backplate was removable. So i attacked with my jigsaw and got the new ATX backplate to fit.

Good luck, it took me about month to do mine. I think it was worth though .

Last edited: 21 May 2004
  12. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Wow good job on your case. That backplate actually looks like it came on there like that. Very nice.

Im still a little stumped at the moment on how to get all of mine lined up and working correctly. I may have to make a motherboard tray out of plexi and cut out so stuff in the back of the case so that it slides forward and lines up smoothly with the ATX plate. I should figure it out by the end of the day. :thumb:

13. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Small Update

Just a little update here on the designs im going to be cutting out in the sidepanel and possibly the top panel.

Side Panel:
    [​IMG]

Top Panel:
    [​IMG]

More Updates soon. :clap:

14. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

It would be really bitchin if you painted each one of those "spikes" a different color, keeping in whatever color scheme you are going with, of course... :thumb:

15. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Thats not a bad idea. I will take that into consideration.

16. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

That does sound interesting... I like that idea... what colors are you going to paint the case? I :read: and I did not see it... good job so far... :clap:

17. smokescreen

smokescreen What's a Dremel?

Forgot to say in my last post, i used a few nuts and bolts as spacers. I drilled a few holes in the plexi and the cases original motherboard mounting plate. Once i attached the plexi to the mounting plate with the bolts i used a few nuts as spacers so i could get the plexi at the right height. Glad you like my case :D . I wrapped the new ATX backplate in aluminium tape i got from Motorworld (UK car store). It was supposed to be used to fix holes in car panels but i think it helps to blend the new backplate in with the case.

18. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

I had originally planned on painting the case green but I just got a cooler idea. I may paint the whole case silver and paint the spikes different colors so its like the case has a burst of color on the side and top. Just a thought. :naughty:

As for your plexi idea smokescreen I may try that. Seems like it worked. Im going to put the old mobo tray in there and mount the plexi to it then the board to the plexi. Hopefully it will leave me a clean idea of where I can cut out the space for the ATX backplate.

More when I get home today. :thumb:

19. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Just a little bump here to let you know I will be making some updates soon. :D Ive got a bunch of cool ideas that im going to do. Stick around for some updates. :dremel:

20. Kolmik

Kolmik What's a Dremel?

And to think :eyebrow: all I did with my old AT's was to take em out to the firing range and shoot em up :dremel: