1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: G-CORE - Update 27-07-2006 "Finished"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dimtec, 15 Jun 2006.

1. dimtec

dimtec New Member

First of all, let me introduce myself.
    I am 33 years old, and live in the north of Spain. I work as mechanical engineer. My native language is Spanish, so sorry for the misspelling and grammar mistakes
    I have been playing with some mods, during last 4 years.
    This project is my third one. Here are some photos of my 2 previous projects, with them I win some modding contest on local LAN parties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mi current Project is call G-CORE (Green Core), but it is a provisional name (but perhaps definitive)
    I am working to have it ready for the Campus Party, which is the biggest LAN Party here in Spain. It is going to be the last week of July.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Fist, a draft of how this mod it is going to look:

[​IMG]

The name came form the idea to add a light inside the reservoir, so it would look like a nuclear reactor.
    The idea is to have a big reservoir (about 35 liters), so it would not need a fan or radiator. I not 100% sure, but it the performance is not what I expected, I would add one at the end. The reservoir is going to have two pumps at the bottom of it, one for the CPU, and the other for the GPU and the motherboard.

The motherboard and the hard disk are going to be on the upper case, and the psu, start button, LCD display and DVD drive are going to be on the box outside the case.

To build the reservoir I started to bend an acrylic sheet with a heat gun. This method has 2 problems; it is very difficult to achieve an even curve all the cylinder, and you need something to join the ends.
    I was not very happy with the results, so I look for an acrylic tube. After a lot of searching, I find this tube of 200 mm of diameter.
    [​IMG]

For the caps, I thought first to glue some flanges made of acrylic, and use some acrylic disk to cover it. But I founded this PVC parts that I think I would do the job better. The caps have like a screw, so it very easy to dissemble it.
    [​IMG]
    The problem is the caps have 200 mm of diameter, and a joining part is needed. The joining fitting has 200 mm of inner diameter, so you put the caps in one end, and the tube in the other.
    I couldn’t find this part locally. The only I could find was this elbow, which has that type of fitting in one of its ends.
    With some dremel action I cut the parts I needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Jul 2006
  2. dimtec

dimtec New Member

This is how it is going to be mounted, after some primer, black spray and a lot of wet sanding. It still needs to have the final color coat, and some cleat coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To support the reservoir I am going to use some acrylic sheet 10 mm width
    [​IMG]
    For the structure I am going to use these steel rods, 10 mm diameter.
    [​IMG]
    For the junction box, I found this electrical box with transparent cover, what it was perfect for what I have on mind. It was a little short to put inside the DVD drive, so I glue with epoxy another small box. This is how it looks after some dremel and bondo action. It still has to finish covering all the holes with bondo, and panting it black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the case I used a cylindrical stainless steel trash bin. I use the tap, and cut the body cylinder along to put this green acrylic in the font part and in the back part.
    I was not very happy with the steel cut because it was very difficult to drill ant to cut. Instead I found some acrylic that have mirror in one side and black in the other; it was very flexible, so I use for the lateral. I didn’t need to use the heat gun. The screws maintain the sheet cylindrical.
    This 50 mm tube is for the light inside the reservoir
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how it looks now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is how it looks all together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More coming soon
    What do you think about the name?

3. JavaDog

JavaDog New Member

Wow, this is going to be an interesting one! How tall do you think it will end-up?

4. customh

customh conflagration.

This will be interesting indeed.... sweet idea!!!

5. scifi3018

scifi3018 New Member

Im looking forward to this, i hope you build a car to carry that thing to your lan partys, cause its looking to be gigantic.

6. Lo Pan

Lo Pan New Member

Could use a little smoothing up, but it looks pretty good!

7. customh

customh conflagration.

He seems to be only in the beginning stages anyways, so lets wait and see!!

8. nemesis80

nemesis80 New Member

Interesting desings, I like them;)

9. axscpu

axscpu New Member

it's looking so far............. hope to see it done before you head to valencia.......espero verlo alli buen trabajo hombre te veo en el campus!!!!!

10. CrazyModder

CrazyModder New Member

Dimensions, please! it look like a real monster....

11. dimtec

dimtec New Member

I think I would be around 1.2 meters of tall, 40 kg of weight and 300 mm of side.
    I think it is growing every day more and more.

12. Nutty

Nutty New Member

This looks sweet!

13. foundsoul

foundsoul New Member

WOW thats a big @ss water bong!

14. dimtec

dimtec New Member

First update!

I have been working those days on the basement.

The acrylic sheet for the basement is finished. I have polished the edges and they look good. Here are some photos of it.

[​IMG]

The acrylic sheet for the top still need to be polished. I have done the center hole to pass all the connections.[​IMG]

I have added four wheels. They would be very useful when I have to carry this 50 kg thing.

[​IMG]

I have prepared also the holes on the tap and on the bottom for the connections

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pre-assembly of the work done until now.

[​IMG]

Now I am going to concentrate on the rest of the parts for the reservoir to have it finished for the next week.

15. dimtec

dimtec New Member

After a lot of work, I finished in time for the CampusParty. Now I am writing this from the party. My project is finished and working. I have all the problems you could imagine, after 1 week sleeping 3 hours a day to have it finished in time. For example the reservoir had a leakage, becasue I hit it when I was unloading it from the car. I have to use a lot of bondo to stop the leakage.
    Here are some photos of the final fases of the project. Some parts I wish I would have a little more time to have better finish, but..
    I also have added some photos of the most interesting mods around here. If someone wants more info on a particular one, please let me know and I would post more photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dimtec

dimtec New Member