1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Green Dragon, Mostly finished! (Updated new pics Aug 15th)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Slannesh, 4 Nov 2002.

1. Slannesh

Slannesh What's a Dremel?

Hey Tribal,

Funny you should mention that about the Dragon in my etch... That's where I got the idea from in the first place. Tattoo Flash makes great window etches!

I have the side panel and window done now, just have to clearcoat the panel and then do the front Bezel. The case itself will be done at that point. Have a few other lighting projects to play with and my Baybus is finally done as well. Just have to clean up the fan wiring and that's about it. I hope to have this completed in the next couple of weeks so I should have final pictures soon.

2. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

indeed... tattoos are very useful designs for etching or stickers :thumb:

heeee.... description is cool... but we want to see PICS!!!
    Show us the PICS :hehe:

3. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

I have to say after looking at that etch, which is a nice image, you kind of got riped off. If im not mistaken that plex was done on "extruded acrylic" which leaves a kind of clear effect on the plex. What you need to get done is have the etch on "cast acrylic" which makes the etch white, not really see-threw. Not sure what 60canadas dollars are to US but that seems kind of high? Having ur own laser etching servise makes you learn these things. :)........dont get me wrong it still looks nice.

4. Slannesh

Not sure which type of plexi it is. And trust me considering what we Canadians have to pay for shipping and customs tarriffs $60Can for such an etch is a steal.

Look at it this way. I can buy a CC locally for about $40 Can.

Or I can order one on the net for $10US which is about $15 Canadian. Once shipping and everything is done it comes to probably $20 US if i'm buying just one which still ends up being $30 Can.

Population density sucks let me tell you :eyebrow:

Going to try doing some etches myself now... Picked up a reverse routing table for my dremel the other day. I'll keep you all posted.

5. Slannesh

New update

More pics of the case... Front Bezel isn't done yet obviously.

First up: Side shot of the window unlighted.
    [​IMG]

And lit up.
    [​IMG]

Angle of the window unlighted
    [​IMG]

And lit. The way the etch is done it's WAY easier to see from an angle instead of just straight on.
    [​IMG]

The whole case, Need to get the Bezel done.
    [​IMG]

My baybus. All of the case fans are controlled by this one switch. Purple is low (7v)
    [​IMG]

Green is high (12v)
    The far right switch runs the CC and the middle switch runs 5V for future LED based projects.
    [​IMG]

Just another shot of the whole thing
    [​IMG]

Same here.
    [​IMG]

One last shot of the entire case thus far. I moved the Tri color fan to the blowhole because with the CC in you can't see it inside the case when it's on. I'll probably change it to an all green one or perhaps a purple mod later.
    [​IMG]

Well that's about it for now.

I'm going to be cleaning up the wiring a bunch later. Another rounded cable for the CD-ROM and general cleanup. I just need to get around to ordering some spiral wrap or split conduit, Also planning on rewiring the fans so I can get the wires out of the way.

Happy modding!

6. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

It's looking really good man.. I love that window!

Keep up the good work!

DDK

7. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

it's looking very great!!!

keep up the good work :D

8. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

good job. the paint and dragon look great :thumb:

9. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

looks good, but it would look a LOT better if you cleaned up the spaghetti, (All the wires look a bit messy)

10. Slannesh

I'll post it again for those who didn't bother to do anything but look at the pics. :lol:

"Well that's about it for now.

I'm going to be cleaning up the wiring a bunch later. Another rounded cable for the CD-ROM and general cleanup. I just need to get around to ordering some spiral wrap or split conduit, Also planning on rewiring the fans so I can get the wires out of the way.

Happy modding!"

But thanks for the input.

Last edited: 5 May 2003
  11. Slannesh

Mostly done!

Hey everyone,
    I know it's been a while since I posted but I finally got around to doing the front bezel. So the paintjob at least is done. I have a lot of other stuff that i'd like to do with this case but for now it's pretty much how it's going to look for a bit.

Feast your eyes!

First up: Vinyl dying the front bezel.
    [​IMG]

Front shot of the finished bezel. Still have to paint the drive but i'm hoping to replace it with a slot load DVD soon so I haven't bothered yet.
    [​IMG]

Angle whole case. Gives you an idea of the color anyhow.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the whole thing.
    [​IMG]

And a crappy shot of the CC lit up. My camera takes bad pics in the dark.
    [​IMG]

That's about it!

Let me know what you think!

Slannesh.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2003
  12. Werksmini

Werksmini What's a Dremel?

You really need to paint that cd rom drive. Other than that It looks super clean. I love the explanation on how you applied the paint. That helps alot.

Simple, and clean. Works for me.

13. Slannesh

That's definately on my list but i'm hoping to replace the CD-ROM with one of those swanky slot load Pioneer DVD-ROM drives so i'll paint that when I get it :lol:

14. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I gotta love how the two-tone effect works here with the black on the bezel following the lines to the top panel and not the drive bay covers.

Excellent showin' of skill here. :clap:

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I really like this case. The finish and window look really professional:)

I like the way the black and green contrast and the case itself has enough interesting angles, curves and slots to stop it looking plain. I can see why you chose this case as a good starting point to mod.

Simple, classic mods well-executed. I would definitely stop and have a good look at this case at a LAN - Vey nice!

applause :clap:

16. Slannesh

Finally cleaned up the wiring.

Hey all, I know I said this one was done and the actual modding mostly is, but I got around to cleaning up the wiring inside and took pics.

I think they're pretty self explanatory for the most part ;> Nothing new, just cleaned up a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lchyi

lchyi What's a Dremel?

Sweetness, patience pays off with that paint job. :thumb: Good job, that's a cool case man, ordinary to extraordinary!

18. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Good job, like the paint job and the dragon :clap:

19. Neuffy

Neuffy What's a Dremel?

Very nice. Particularly the etch.

As I'm in Edmonton, I'd like to know the name of the place you got the etching done. I _know_ that there's several places in Edmonton that do etching, but damned if I can find them. Probably should try the phonebook already, huh?

Well, keep it up.

20. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

why didnt you try green split loom or...vinyl die all of the cables green... interesting maybe