1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Gremlin

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by frodo, 21 Jun 2005.

1. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Placed my order just now

next day delivery, so it should be here on thursday :D yay

came to £145 in total for:

10m UV green 10mm tubing
    1x XSPC passive aluminium reservoir
    1x XSPC R120-T (bit like a 120:3)
    1x Revoltec BGA ramsinks (8 per pack - to cover my x800xl)
    6x 10mm pushfit straight connectors (like bulkhead, but not)

so tomorrow im going to go to B&Q and get acrylic and bolts etc etc

once ive got those, i can finally make some rad box's and what not

then its the fun job of soldering up all the funtastical lighting, and the cathodes ive got aswell! wooo

things to do:

make rad/fan box
    finish fan motor wirings
    modify fan controller
    make Acrylic panel to house fan controller, 4x20 LCD and fdd
    make acrylic divider panel
    rip apart the tagan 480w and sleeve/modify all the cables to suit the pc
    shorten motherboard tray
    design motherboard cover (dont know, i want to do it, but i just... dunno!)
    modify HDD mounts (want to flip the hdd's so the cables face the fans, so they arent as visible)
    make some more funky acrylic stuff - for fun
    cover inside of case in blackfoam, with acrylic ontop to make it look cool (pc side only)
    cover inside of case in black foam, with extra foam around the pump to prevent vibrations going into the case)

loads of other things, this mod will slowly evolve, and i doubt it will ever be "finished"

2. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Hmmm if you add more fans you could possibly get this thing going the speed of the Gremlin car. (For all that dont know the Gremlin is an AMC car that well it wasnt the fastest beast in the world. Google it.)

3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

hehe, that would be cool :D (pun intended)

i did some designs of what the radbox will look like, will be a bit wider in reality, the wide oval will just be open (was thinking about meshing it, but dont know)

once the parts arrive i can start doing some mockups in cardboard :D yay

[​IMG]

^ theres the plan the radbox will be attached to the fans via self tapers, keeping it clean and easy to remove

4. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

^ what happens when i use visio and get bored :S thats my template as to how im going to make the fan box, eventually that will be modified with barbs, actual fans etc etc

im using visio because its simple as hell to use, and ermm, its simple as hell to use

i tried (as captain slug suggested) milkshape3d but i need to investigate more, it looks complicated (to me)

are there any simple polygon designers out there? basically you get a huge grid, just click where you want lines etc (like visio) but capable of 3d? so i can like turn it around making complete models? would be awesome if anyone knows how/where i can get that

5. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

How about Sketchup?

6. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Hey z, thanks for pointing me in that direction, ive downloaded it, it seems to be just what i want, now i just need to learn how to use it :D hehe

7. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Well today i had a nice city link man deliver me 2 parcels.

In one, 20m of tubing (10m clear, 10m green (uv)) and the r120-t

in the other, the passive aluminium reservoir, the ramsinks, the pushfit fittings and the bulkhead fittings

some pictures:

[​IMG]

^ the sexy radiator and the even sexier reservoir

[​IMG]

^ 20m of tubing

after checking all the stuff out, i decided to get modding, first thing on my list, get the rad in, so i striped the case, all of it out ready for modding, slapped the rad in, simple enough, then i had the problem

where to mount the res without a divider panel (getting acrylic tomorrow) magic, the fairys visited my imagination and told me! mount them to the rad :D so like a good fairy seeing man i decided to do that, and magic, it works

after getting the rad in, i slid the motherboard tray in and shite, that was close, a 5mm gap between the end of the mobo tray and the res. so it was time to shorten the motherboard tray

[​IMG]

^ before

[​IMG]

^ after

the chrome strip was "borrowed" from my sisters offcut bin, its meant to go around the seams of a mini, but i stole it and use it for a better cause.

unfortunatly i didnt take many pictures as i worked on the case, as in none, i just tried to get it all ready, i tubed it up, filled the reservoir, and started pumping, after 30 minutes water started going around the loop (didnt want to empty the air in it :S) and damn, brita filtered water thats near frozen gives the pipes a nice bit of condensation!, luckily no leaks :D so yay

here are some pictures of the "finished" (for today) article

[​IMG]

^ the pretty side, shortening the motherboard REALLY helped as it means the motherboard cables dont have to stretch as far / at all, which is better for routing

[​IMG]

^ even the ugly side looks better with more tubing and without the res on that side :D

[​IMG]

^ closeup of the res and rad, showing the high quality of both items!

im so impressed by the quality of the products, and their price is top notch, makes me happy to know that this pc has some quality stuff within!

wiring is still a mess, and will be until i finally get some acrylic (tomorrow), once ive got that, the stealthing begins :D

hope you all like, now comment away

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Have U tried out if two fans / radiator even makes any difference? 'Cause I think it doesn't help at all...

9. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

what? im sorry, that makes no sense? do you mean without a push pull config?

if so, it does make a difference in my setup.

45c without fans on each side, 30c with fans on both side - difference - yes

that was with my 2 seperate rads, i cant be bothered to unscrew all of the fans on this rad, just to experiment!

10. Jipa

well if it's so, then I understand. I would maybe allso put my case full of fans if my father'd pay them :rolleyes:

Good luck with your case I'd just like to see some true modding here.

11. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

True modding

ive already explained, until i get the acrylic, no "true modding" will progress, as without it i cant do most of the things i plan to do with this case!

my father hasnt paid for any of this, im 15, no job (no real source of income) and just do odd jobs to earn cash, basically its taken me a year and a half to save for this, and the fans are there because i want silence, silence comes @ a price, i could buy say 10x 120mm papst or sunon silent fans, but they cost £10+ a pop, where as these (that are relatively silent) cost 89p each, from www.ebuyer.co.uk

at the moment my temperatures are sucking, hitting 38c load :S when my 2 seperate rads only hit 35c load, it might be 'cause of the higher room temp, i dont know but i was hoping for better temps really

12. Jipa

Ok sorry I were a bit fck'd up at day, shouldn't post anything...

Looking forward to see some plexi-job! :dremel:

13. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

dont worry about it, i get what your saying, as at the moment it looks very pre-mod

the plexi work involves alot of heat, alot of bondo, and a helluva lot of painting :S which will be fun!

14. Jipa

My own mod only needw hell of a lot bondo and sanding... and maybe painting later, sanded it today an hour.. and it still isn't ready :<

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

well, ive spent months trying to get the front of my mini pc smooth, the bondo didnt want to get 100% smooth, so when i painted it it showed lines, so ive now bought some more high fill primer, and im basically sanding, priming, sanding priming, sanding priming, sanding priming, dont know when ill get to the painting stage

best part is, it is alot of work, but if done properly, is all worth it in the end :D

16. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

DAMN that's alot of fans and that BIG case makes my chieftec dragon looks like micro atx

17. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

yup, ive got a cheiftec dragon full tower, sitting outside my room atm (nothing better to do with it atm!)

project gremlin ATM is just sitting to my right getting its windows install repaired for the 2nd time in 2 days :mad: as windows is throwing a wobbly (whenever i restart, it just hangs on the win xp pro splashscreen :() so hopefully when i repair it this time i will update it (i think its shutting off the hdd's before the cache and pagefile can be writen/deleted thus making it corrupt preventing ti from booting!)

meh, i made an acrylic divider, but hten realised how hard it will be to work on while the pc is in the case, so ive decided against the divider at the moment, or atleast until ive got other projects out the way!

ill get a picture of my room soon, so you can see what i mean by its a TIP! i striped down my old main rig, to sell off the motherboard and cpu to a fellow forum'er, and today rebuilt my old 2nd rig, which now has 360gb of storage (280gb of that will be going into gremlin soon ;)) and also put it in an acrylic case for the sakes of it!

i just need to find some sata - ata converters, as i know they exist, as what i want to do is put these 2 hdd's (200gb ide and 80gb ide) on my sata (as its neater!) but i cant find the converters now :( dammit

if anyone knows where i can get the converter i would be VERY grateful!

18. fyes

fyes What's a Dremel?

You looking for something like this ?

Or this in the UK.

Cheers.

19. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

thats the one

shame they are so expensive! as i can get sata 200gb's for £55 :S i dont know if its worth it, i may just buy more hdd's as time prevails!

20. blue_lawnchair

blue_lawnchair What's a Dremel?

I am looking forward to where this is going. Quick question. Did you case come that way, stripped of paint and all anyway keep it coming. :thumb: