1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Hydro Voyager--DEAD

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jaguarking11, 25 Apr 2004.

1. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

People don't get much comments here unless its totally new. Well, comments anywhere actually. At my project log I got maybe 10 responces over at a US site.

One of the best ways to attract people is TONS of pictures, every little ingenius little quirk that make a great mod. Like, look at the HL2 case project. Plenty attention to the little details.

This is a window/lcd/heater core mod. Now, its not bad, I like it. But look at your competition. :) But key to modding is, mod for you, not them, or the project log.

2. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

I usually don't post replies for projects unless I have an idea for the mod that may be useful. However I wouldn't want you to get discouraged. Take the amount of views as a sign. Most people only come back to mods they are interested in.

Anyway..... MOD ON!!!!

YingKo

3. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

It is more that if you are not one of the "gods" of this site no one will post. I started my log on hardforums and got twice the amount of post as i did here. As for me I usualy do not post on threads, unless it is to input on the case or disscusion. But as for the "great mod will be watching this one" I will leave that to the post whoring kids. You are doing a good job so far, and i will be watching this one (lol, i know) I would like to ask a question, do you know if they make a heater core that is around 1-1.25in. I need a radiator that is about that for my mod.

JEEVES

4. Chii-wan

Chii-wan What's a Dremel?

very good beginning, and sorry for my English who is not perfect, continuous!!!
    :thumb:

5. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Look at my threads... it takes a very differnt mod to get a lot of posts. I prefer not a huge amount of spam anyway. HL2 case is about 60 or more spam (no flaming please). The reason for so many posts are the case is radical. Look at my thread... very different but not rust colored and falling apart (ie blackmesa).

I take lots of pictures in my threads and I get posts from that, but I get tons of views. I think most of the people who post have ideas and help on the project and not spam. With lots of pics and explanation people do not need to ask questions...

Now on topic...

I like the fan controller, now it looks like you are hooking up the controller in the case itself, is that true? I am assuming the input is component or svideo. Good job so far... I really hate dells and you are making a dell look good. :thumb:

6. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well thanks guys for the word of encuragement. (spelling?) Anyways I have been trying to get the wrinkles out of the puddy work I am doing as I want a glass like finish lader on.

As for the radiator question I dont realy know of any heatcores that thin. You will either have to ask the people at the local junk yard or local autostore for one as I am shure heatcores come in all shapes and sizes.

Now for the lcd I am going to hook it up through svideo conector on the videocard. Its a easy mod to tell you the truth as the voltage required on the lcd is 12v and the wires are pretty mutch logicaly wired. I just hope I dont screw up and kill it.

I have one question for you guys tho. As I have yet to purchase my water blocks and pump I need your opinion on blocks. I am planing on geting the hydor L30 fore the sole purpose of size and power. and for cpu and gpu I am planing on getting danger dane maze 4 blocks but as far as chipset block I am stumped. I have a msi neo pl2 mb with a 865 chipset and its cooled by a noisy fan with too many leds on it and its just anoying. I am debating on what should i do. I was thinking ither the zalman passive cooler for chipset or a water block but dont know whitch. I am leaning more to water tho.

any help would be apreciated.

7. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

offtopic - over at procooling they've got a heatercore database put together. i think its mainly for those available in the US though. ontopic

I like what you've done so far, i've got an R400 that i've been pondering for a while that might be in danger after seeing what you've done. although i'd keep the original hardware in mine as I use it to mess around with stuff. a couple of watercooling thoughts, obviously, if you're gonna paint the rad, don't spray the fins, you'll get a performance hit from that. (you probably know that already, but hey, gotta mention it) also, the L30 is a decent pump, considering the price. lots of people swear by the Danner mag3 though, so you might want to think about that ($40 at www.reefgeek.com). also, the RBX is much better than the maze4, so if you're thinking DangerDen, you might want that instaed. also, unless you're really gonna overclock whatever hardware you've putting in there, I wouldn't go with a northbridge block, just get a high end passive cooler and make sure its at least got some air moving over it. mod on, and keep those pics coming.

8. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

seems that you have skills, is looking nice...
    can't wait for an update!!!

9. jaguarking11

I will update soon. But im having problems with my digicam as it eats batterys like nothing. On another note: I did experience some cracking of the puddy on the top of the front bezel as its weak there. I glued it back and i and im going to resand and prime it again. Hopefully its stronger now.

As for the rest of the case I am molding in a grill for a small top blow hole for my psu. I Have an Ibest 650W psu and it had 2 fans on it. I removed them both. One of em was a blower and the second was a 80mm regular fan. Where the 80mm fan was i made an adaptor plate to fit in a radishocak blower fan facing upwards thus reducing heat being transfered in the case. The whole psu is aluminum and I am going to show you guys pics as soon as I can. This link has the pics of the psu. I removed the back fan and placed a blower fan that moves more air than the original two fans.

I hope to put in updates lader on tonite.

P.S Thanks for the compliments guys.

Also on another note I c u guys dont like the ddmaze4 water blocks. I realy dont like the rbx style blocks. So does anyone know of any other types of blocks that might be good in the pricerange. Also the blocks should be 1/2in

Thanks

10. jaguarking11

WOW I just saw those pumps you were mentioning. Hows the noise level on the 3 series. But I saw the 9.5series and that thing is impresive but I am afraid of noise. That would provide supercooling through my system but Id have to tigheten those tubes pretty dam well to keep em from slipping off. I wonder what noise level the 9.5series puts out. And does the 3 series have a loong life?

11. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

heh, you want supercooling? check out those chillers they have. i played with the calculator and figuring the cpu's adding 65w and pump is adding 10w to the system, the smallest (1/10 hp) is still way overkill to get the temps from 120f to 40f. the box is as big as another computer case, fer crying out loud! But i'm sure most of us would need a beefier pump to handle the minimum gph required by the chiller.

but it'd be easier than making your own tec chiller, that's for sure.

12. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Much easier. That is what I want to do if I can locate some cheap tecs. I figured out a mega cheap way of doing it. Ebay for Tecs, (Little ones even) then set them up like Swiftech did, just LOTS more. THEN daisy chain cheapo AT psus and bang. Cheap and nasty tec chiller of doom. Unless I am forgetting some math here.

But it can be done, I just can't imagine me getting the insulation right though. So I am not gonna mess with it until I can get something cheap to hone my skills on. Like a P1. [/unhijack]

13. jaguarking11

Well update time.
    This is the front of the case finished. Its silky smooth and cury just rite.
    [​IMG]

This is the blow hole i was talking about.
    [​IMG]

This is the blow hole grill I am using glued and molded in place.
    [​IMG]

This is the psu conversion i did. I pretty mutch made a plate to adapt a blower fan onto a 80mm fan hole. It pushes more air through the system and keeps the psu cooler and its more silent than the two fans previously in it.
    [​IMG]

This is the psu fited in the case with the fan blowing upwards through the hole I made.
    [​IMG]

This is the top view of the hole I made with my buddys dremel.
    [​IMG]

Funny thing about modding this machine is that i have either used my friends dremel to fit the stuff i neded or tin snips to cut the metal to fit. I do admit tho that the dremel gives nicer cuts tho.

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

a lot of people just browse like myself, just collecting ideas and seeing what others are doing, you should consider yourself lucky though. The last 3 updates on my log have garnered 2 posts.. across 3 forums :waah: tis okay all the work is encouraging and when I ask questions people offer solutions. Keep on working. but is wood filler really the best thing to be using on plastic and metal? wouldn't say auto body filler work better?

15. jaguarking11

Autobody filler would be better than this wood filler but I had this laying around as my father is a contractor, and its made with sysnthetic materials that when hard are stone hard and not like wood. I did experince some cracking when i stresed the plastic too mutch but autobody filler is the same way. Overall its decent material and sands a hellofallot easier than autobody filler does and its less toxic. BTW people working with outobody filler should be realy carefull as most of the dust from those fillers causes cancer easily.

16. Kolmik

Kolmik What's a Dremel?

Never had much luck with bondo. :grr: The stuff would always crack on me

17. Poggie

Poggie What's a Dremel?

The technique is to lay it in layers.

18. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

The case is looking godd. But dont do, dont paint the heater core. If its behind a grill so you cant see it, dont paint it. Only Paint it if aboslutly stands out in a bad way. Other wise you are likly to greatly affect your cooling. If your after performance, dont paint it. If your just after a quiter computer, then it osen't matter all too much. Also, have you thought about making your own water blocks. Google the idea and you will see how ease it is and how much you can save.

Other than that, mod on :dremel: :thumb:

19. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

I like it so far, good luck with it. I like the slot work up top, hope that turns out well for you. The LCD shoud look nice:)

Take care

DDK

20. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

Starting to look real good. But i agree don't paint the heatercore it will lower the cooling potential of your radiator or if you absolutely must paint it paint the fins only very thin. Is that greyish colour the final colour ofthe front plate? (imo black rulz! :))